Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

.dvr file format video codex, or software translation

by jbrooks / March 26, 2005 5:18 AM PST

I have a new Digital video recorder, it runs in Lynx OS it has a ActiveX viewer and records digital video in a .DVR format (not .dvr-ms). I would like to edit and copy these .dvr files in any format.
I am looking for a codex, or a converter, I can use to convert the recordings to MPEG AVI or MOV or play it in something other than the ActiveX player. or what codex does it use. Any suggestions ?
Copy of a sample video (6Meg) http://www.pyrogen.com/lexan02_17.dvr and the player http://www.pyrogen.com/DvrActiveXSetup.exe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: .dvr file format video codex, or software translation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: .dvr file format video codex, or software translation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're not the only one looking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 12:24 PM PST
Collapse -
Is this your DVR?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 12:28 PM PST
Collapse -
Please reply in the forum...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2005 5:30 AM PST

You are not answering my questions so I can't help.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you try CAMTASIA?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2005 5:31 AM PST
Collapse -
.dvr
by jbrooks / April 1, 2005 7:18 AM PST

Thanks, I am looking, I down loaded an eval copy a few minutes ago. It does not do .dvr direct from file. I am trying to do the screen capture now.

John

Collapse -
.dvr five conversion
by jbrooks / April 1, 2005 7:34 AM PST

Thanks, I down loaded an eval copy a few minutes ago. I am trying to do the screen capture now. I believe this will work. You are my hero. I captured a segment to AVI, I can work with that. I have tried several ways and THIS WILL WORK.. I can not thank you enough, this will save the investment in the DVR and let me take 100MB files to 15KB for distribution.
If I can ever do anything to repay the favour to you please let me know.

John Brooks
RedBrooks Labs

Collapse -
To speed up replies next time... All I ask is..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: .dvr five conversion

To fill in the blanks so I don't have to do much research on the internet about your devices. I never figured out what you had so all I could offer is CAMTASIA.

Bob

Collapse -
.dvr conversion
by jbrooks / April 3, 2005 9:59 AM PDT

I apologize for the lack of data, Probably comes from not knowing much. I had not found the OEM Web site. It appears the server is put together using common parts and the system builder is a box assembler and was no help with the software. It is a brain dead system with no options. You turn it on and it records what ever cameras are selected, Period... The recorder is a plain box, Linux 3.0Ghz pentium, 1Gig memory with a 250Gig HD. It has 4 vidoeo recorder cards for 16 cameras. To edit or view we are using several NT/XP machines from 1Ghz to 3.2. Pulling the data from a fire wire or USB HD does not seem to make a difference in performance.
The CAMTASIA eval copy seems to be working, but it is a little quirky ( not too stable and freezes after saving the AVI. The player for the .dvr has two sizes to big and too small. The segment screen capture at a portion of the 325 X 480 player will capture at 12FPS, selecting a smaller zone will speed up the frame rate to 15 and 27. Loosing allot of frames on the capture method. These is a sample of the .dvr video file and player on the first posting. If there is a product that might allow for a direct conversion, or batch conversion that would be good. I have about 240 each 30 min dvr files to edit and cut. a 30 minute segment (100MB) might have 2~3 minutes of usable data. It is a slow process, still trying to capture and convert a singe file series. Still looking for anything that will do a batch conversion from .drv to a windows compatable media player
Thanks
John

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: .dvr conversion

I finished up a 10 camera system running on some Dell 500 buck special (XP Home) and a pair of 8 video port cards from compgeeks. The software saves to some proprietary file, but you do some click here and there and it exports to .AVI for handover to the police or whoever. Very slick and the system was under 1k for the Dell PC, LCD monitor, 16 video channels and more. It runs 24x7.

As to your hang/lockup, I have no clues to work with but can tell you I've never had that happen. However we have Windows 2000 or XP machines, no spyware or other issues to deal with.

The lack of information is disconcerting and not your fault.

Bob

Collapse -
.DVR format
by jbrooks / April 3, 2005 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

I wish I had gone to the forum last fall when we were looking for a server. Our selection was based on 16 cameras, 30fps frame rate and IP server for remote viewing. It works well, but the file format and the post purchase support were lacking. I expected MPEG or at the worse .avi. I have Ask the OEM for a different OS or different recording format, but have not received a reply.

John

Collapse -
Wow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: .DVR format

16 cameras at the full 30fps is quite a lot to ask. That could run into a lot of buck since most systems I know reduce the FPS per camera to save on encoder costs.

I've done many security systems and none required 30 fps. At the end of the day, we find 1 or 2 fps to be just fine for surveilance work. Now that we are almost entirely digital we don't see the ratty tape issue.

In closing, the .AVI can be in the MPEG encoding of your chosing. It can be named .AVI or .MPG to help in making it compatible with the enduser.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by jbrooks / April 5, 2005 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow.

Yea, 30PFS at 16 Cameras fills up a drive in a hurry. Problem with my application is it is used in a Lab. You do an experiment that takes 45 seconds, and you have 16 100 MB files to cut out the different views. Could be worse, the 16mm film is 10K FPS and you get to wait weeks to see if you got the data. The DVR also acts as a internet server and you can observe remotely from a fixed IP. Thanks for all the help, the OEM says NO editing since security systems may go to Lawyers someday. Even if you are not using them as security systems. Look at the Geovision capture cards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!