General discussion

dvix on tv, xvid, mkv etc

One would think this is a simple question and most of the TV mfg websites should address this as a selling point, but may be my age and my eyes are against me. Happy Ha i am 29 any ways getting to the point

I assume that there is a TV out there which is slim line (i mean slim not fat) with an ethernet port which can stream all the video files on my computer/network. Simple Happy

All I am trying to do is buy a new TV. I just want to make an educated purchase about which TV can reach into the bucket of movies I have in different video formats (most common formats) via an ethernet port or wireless for that matter. Any suggestions on this issue will be greatly helpful to my brain.

Thank you
Anil

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: dvix on tv, xvid, mkv etc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: dvix on tv, xvid, mkv etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Streaming Digital Video to your TV

All of the examples of this that I have seen simply have the computer video output connected to the TV. So now you control everything from the computer as usual and your TV acts like the monitor that it is.

Pretty basic. Some people even dedicated a computer to the task so that it stays in place connected to the LAN, internet and TV all the time.

Morgan Harman
The Tech Source
http://www.TheTechSource.net
Home Theaters and more? in Southern California.
Lic.# 849004

- Collapse -
Don't focus on a HDTV w/ ethernet

Instead, focus on an HDTV which maximizes your picture quality for the lowest price with all the features you require. Simply use a third party device to stream and send along video/audio via HDMI, or ideally a dedicated home theater PC that has been suggested. A dedicated HTPC gives you the most flexiblity long term, but requires the slightly higher learning curve to set up initially.

Scroll back through the last few weeks of topics for similar posts.

-Pedro

CNET Forums

Forum Info