TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVI HDTV / PC Compatibility

by clintrad4 / December 12, 2003 9:37 AM PST

can I hook up a video card with dvi out like that of a RADEON 9800 to an HDTV with DVI HDTV connection without anything but a DVI cable???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVI HDTV / PC Compatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVI HDTV / PC Compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:DVI HDTV / PC Compatibility
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2003 10:42 AM PST

"can I hook up a video card with dvi out like that of a RADEON 9800 to an HDTV with DVI HDTV connection without anything but a DVI cable???"

That's how it's supposed to work...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:DVI HDTV / PC Compatibility
by yellowkazoo / August 20, 2005 2:30 AM PDT

I have attempted to attach my pc to my HDTV using the DVI connector and it doesn't work. I tried to set my display to 720 at 60hz but this didn't help. My TV says that it will recognize a 720p input.

Collapse -
Re: DVI HDTV / PC Compatibility
by EJBIV / November 27, 2004 11:02 AM PST

Hi,

Did you resolve your question about using a DVI-HDTV with a computer? I picked up a Sony 60" LCD with DVI-HDTV and want to hook it up to my computers. Sony says it is not intended for use with a computer. Did you successfully hook up your computer? How does it look? Which card did you get? What size LCD are you using?

- Ed

Collapse -
re: pc>hdtv
by supertoad / July 17, 2005 4:15 PM PDT

many (if all) tv manufactures seem to discourage PC use with their products, as you found out it seems. for those of you who have hooked up pcs to hdtvs, are there any problems?http://reviews.cnet.com/5224-7813-0-1.html#
Preview

Collapse -
i did it...
by snoopy2 / August 23, 2005 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: re: pc>hdtv

i hooked up my PC with a radeon 9600 video card with DVI-out to my samsung HL-P5067W's HDMI input with a HDMI-to-DVI cable from surpluscomputers ($10 shipped! http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CBL10158). i had to specify the following driver: 'standard monitor types'|'digital flat panel'|'800x600' for it to work. anyway, it looks great! i compared it to S-video output from the same video card and, well, THERE WAS NO COMPARISON! the digital output was crisp and clear whereas you couldn't even read most of the text using S-video. i was initially a little disappointed that i couldn't get resolution higher than 800x600 (which the TV stretches a bit horizontally to fill most of the screen but which is mostly unnoticeable) but, after the fact, i now realize i probably would have chosen 800x600 anyway as the anything higher would result in text and icons being too small to read.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.