Computer Help forum

Question

DVDs Will Not Show Photos Previously Burned To Them

by mike281 / September 24, 2013 9:08 AM PDT

I have a DVD that photos were burned to it at various times in the past. Today i put it in my computer DriveD and the photos don't show. At the bottom it shows 3.96GB used of 4.38GB
the disc hows desktop.ini Configuration settings 1kb and when i click on that i get
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815
is there any way that i can retrive my files?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVDs Will Not Show Photos Previously Burned To Them
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVDs Will Not Show Photos Previously Burned To Them
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 9:12 AM PDT

The clue here is the statement "photos were burned to it at various times in the past."

Since multi-session is never a sure thing you must remember how the DVD was created. I see how but not what title of creation/burning software. These can often be proprietary and if they are missing, malfunctioning or expired you can't see the prior sessions.

Try ISOBUSTER as well.
Bob

Collapse -
DVDs Will Not Show Photos Previously Burned
by mike281 / September 25, 2013 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: TRUE!

they are photos that i put on at various times, all with many days or weeks apart. i did not know that this would be a problem. i tried the free isobuster and it did come up with a list of jpg files that i lost. i guess if i pay for this service i might get the files back, thanks

Collapse -
If you can remember the software used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2013 5:59 AM PDT

Then you may have that software and we just need to re-install that again. I know folk that can't recall the title and ISOBUSTER is the usual recovery tool.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
DVD
by pgc3 / September 25, 2013 12:18 AM PDT

So this is a DVD, not a DVD/RW? You said burned to at various times in the past, does this mean you removed the DVD, after a burn, then re inserted and attempted to add items?

Collapse -
DVDs Will Not Show Photos Previously Burned To Them
by mike281 / September 25, 2013 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD

i removed the DVD a few times to add other photos and files to it. i did not know that this would be a problem. i looked at the free Isobuster and it came up with some of my photos. i guess i will have to buy it and try it out

Collapse -
Burn
by pgc3 / September 25, 2013 4:41 AM PDT

Once you burn to a CD or DVD and remove the disk from the drive, it is a done deal. The exception, in certain cases, would be a CD/RW or a DVD/RW but aftermarket software is required to do changes and can be limiting. Also a CD/RW or DVD/RW can be formatted and reused, CD'S and DVD'S cannot.

Collapse -
multisession
by James Denison / September 25, 2013 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Burn

and he may never have finalized the disc, or it shouldn't have allowed more files to be burned to it.

Maybe the media is scratched. Even small scratches can create a problem. I've used silicon car wax on the business side of them when scratched and had a bad one work again, for awhile, long enough to recover data on it.

Collapse -
Burn etc.
by pgc3 / September 25, 2013 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: multisession

But we also didn't get into much about OS, software being used for burning, so we have missed a lot here. Nonetheless, once you burn to a CD or DVD (not and r/w) and you remove it from the drive, it is a done deal. The ISOBUSTER idea would be, IMO, the most logical thing to try, for retrieval.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.