General discussion

DVDs purchased in USA wil not work now I am home in Europe

OS is Win7 with intel dual core. Separate graphics card - the lot. I purchased some rather good compilation sets - BBC and History Channel documentaries - but I want to put them to an external hard drive to play through a media box - but the discs will not even play on my computer with Win7 - or any other computer.
What can be done? When I purchased them, I specifically asked if there was any difference in systems and was assured that there was not. Wrong, of course. I bought them in one of those huge bookshops that you have in the States - can't remember the name though. What I am trying to say is that they are "pucker" sets - not from a street-seller.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: DVDs purchased in USA wil not work now I am home in Europe
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DVDs purchased in USA wil not work now I am home in Europe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: DVD's

Might be they have a 'regio code'. Hardware in Europe checks if the DVD is for Europe. Hardware in the USA checks if the DVD is for the USA. The world is divided in 5 regios'.

Check the manual for the PC to see if it allows switching regios. There's a risk you can't switch it back, however.
More in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Also, of course, there's the PAL/NTSC difference. I don't know how that affects playing on a PC, but it's not unlikely it does.

Kees

- Collapse -
DVD's

Thanks for getting back. I lent one disc to a friend to try on his new HP laptop and it does say that it will play but the region setting has to be changed - but can only be changed 5 times. Not sure if that means that it can only be switched backwards and forwards 5 times or if it will only be able to be played 5 times after the initial change.

So it is a regio thing. I don't know if he will be able to change the regio and then convert to AVI for playing through the media box. I shall ask him to try.

If you have any ideas on how I should proceed on my own Toshiba laptop, please let me know.

Thanks again.

- Collapse -
You can switch it 5 times.

And when it switched it's only useful to view DVD's with that region code and not with the original one. When ready converting your American DVD's to avi-format, it needs to be switched back to the Europe region.

Kees

- Collapse -
DVD regio changes

Many thanks for your input. My friend has managed to do the necessary and I am hoping to start watching the result tomorrow.

Thanks again.

CNET Forums

Forum Info