General discussion

DVDs for Archos AV 500

I have an Archos AV500. As you my know, the AV 500 supports DivX and a few other formats for Video. I have used Gordian Knot and Imtoo ripping devices to convert DVDs for playing on the device.

Couple of problems:

1. The audio is occasionally out of sync with the video. This seems particularly true where the video is in "wide screen" vs. "full screen" format.

2. Is there any way to control this or to customize the conversion software to fix it?

Thanks to all.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: DVDs for Archos AV 500
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DVDs for Archos AV 500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: DVDs for Archos AV 500

Hello.

I am a consultant to Archos and can help with your question. For recording DVDs onto an Archos device correctly -- without any sync issues -- you can do one of the following (in order of preference/ease):
1. DVD Player Recording: Connect the device to the docking pod and record directly from the DVD player or TV in real-time.
2. Windows Media Player 10 Transfer: Use Windows Media Player 10 to create the digital file, and then use WMP 10 to transfer the file to the device. WMP will transcode certain file types to WMV9 which Archos' (newer) devices, including the AV 500, play.
3. MPEG4 Translator Software: Use MPEG4 translator software that came with the device to record DVDs in the correct file format.

Archos devices support the Macrovision protection on DVDs, so you will be able to record the DVD onto the Archos device but not view it out onto another display or transfer to any other device. This is due to the copy protection on the DVDs themselves.

- Collapse -
question for Samantha Leigh

hello and thanks for your messages. I'd like to buy the archos av 500. I do have 2 questions though, maybe you could help me.
1. Is the European av 500 any different in from the American version (except for the AC adaptor and charger)?
2. I am a musician and would like to record in CD quality through a good microphone. Can I connect my microphone to the AV500 and is the quality as good as say Sony MD?

thanks alot for your help

- Collapse -
Total video converter maybe can help you

Total video converter can rip DVD to divx avi directly.

- Collapse -
Another Question for Samantha Leigh

I have the Archos AV500. As a consultant to Archos can you tell me if the TV Docking Pod for the AV 700 that you can buy as an accessory will also work as an additional Docking Pod for the AV 500? They look identical and Tech Support told me it would work but sales said it would not. Then another Tech support person told my brother it would not work.
The Av 700 travel cables work just fine on the AV 500 but I don't want to plug something in to my AV-5100 that would ruin it. Right now the Archos web site shows the additional docking pod for the AV500 as unavailable and they don't know when or if it will be.
Thank for the Help.

- Collapse -
MPEG$ Translator

Whenever I do this it makes my sound quality really bad and staticy.

Mikel

CNET Forums

Forum Info