Desktops forum

General discussion

DVD XCopy Help

by ihop4no1 / April 28, 2005 5:48 AM PDT

Just bought an eMachines T6212 (AMD 64 3200+, 2000 FSB, DVD RW+) but the Nero software that came with it is worthless for backing up my DVD collection.

So, I got DVD XCopy and installed it without a hitch.

HOWEVER, when using the DVD Xpress feature where the user simply makes a copy of the disk, during step 2 when I place a blank disk in to burn, the disk gets ejected after 1 or 2 minutes with the message "Failed; see log file". Checking the log file lists a series of attempted reads, but notes the burn failed.

I have noticed that the DVD-R's are only 4.7 GB, while the movies are over 7 GB, but I thought the compression would allow it to fit on one disk. But I never get that far anyway.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD XCopy Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD XCopy Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD XCopy Help

A DVDShrink program could help do this?

Hint hint.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by scottinindy / April 28, 2005 5:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe ...
Collapse -
Shrink program (probably) not the issue...
by ihop4no1 / April 29, 2005 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here...I'm not altogether sure what the DVD shrink programs do, BUT I did try the Xcopy again, this time enabling compression so the copy should fit onto one disk.

I noticed as I changed the compression rate for one section of the DVD, it automatically adjusted the other sections so that it should fit onto one disk, so I really don't see the "shrink" issue being a factor. I got the same result this time, which was that the burn attmep failed and to "Check the log file." The log file just shows that it failed (BIG help there! Happy )

If there IS something that the shrink programs do that the compression isn't doing, please let me know. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Collapse -
This is a just do it issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2005 10:50 AM PDT

I hinted at a replacement. Someone else gave the link.

The ball (disk?) is in your court.

Bob

Collapse -
Hints & broken links...and compression was already enabled.
by ihop4no1 / April 29, 2005 11:26 PM PDT

Yes, Bob, you did hint at a solution, but if you'd been reading, you'd see that the issue really isn't that the disk is too large and needs to be shrunk.

Also, if you'd been reading, you'd notice that the link that someone sent, while it does take the user to DVD Shrink's page, contains a broken link to the actual download.

I appreciate the assistance, but I'm not getting to the point where the DVD needs to be shrunk. As a matter of fact, in my next to last posting, I noted that I had enabled compression, so the disk should fit.

Collapse -
Your turn.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2005 12:04 AM PDT

You could use google.com to find it. I will not do this for you and..

If you don't apply yourself, then you can't do this. There are tutorials about how to make it work, but I will not duplicate web content in the forum. See the forum policy about how much I can copy in.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, you were RIGHT!!!!
by ihop4no1 / May 2, 2005 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Your turn.

Ok, time to eat crow...I did google the DVD Shrink software, found a good link, downloaded & installed it and IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

Sorry dude, I was just under the (small minded)impression that something was wrong with the Xcopy software and for the life of me couldn't understand how using DVD Shrink (or a similiar software) would help resolve the issue.

Fortunately I wasn't so small minded that I gave up and didn't try.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Just keep trying.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2005 9:13 AM PDT

That's all it takes to solve most problems.

Bob

Collapse -
Link to DVD Shrink bad...
by ihop4no1 / April 29, 2005 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Forgot to mention this earlier...I had encountered DVD Shrink's link to their website in my rousings for information on this subject. Following the link to the mirror site for downloading yields the following result;

Search Results

No matches found for dvdshrink32setup.zip

I recall getting this same broken link last week.

Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
X Copy is blah
by golftango / April 29, 2005 2:38 AM PDT

I use Clone DVD in conjusction with Any DVD and it is 10Xs quicker than X Copy. There is also no annoying "this is a Backup" screen when you play the copied DVD...

Collapse -
nero
by Oil_Tan / April 30, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

first, update nero, including NVE3 SMCPatch at nero support page.
What always works for me.
DVDDecrypter/make wread iso file
DVDShrink/reauthor/dvd browser tab/title 1
where i choose to ditch subtitles, all audio streams save for ac3, be it dolby or dts, whichever I decide to use, considering video compression for this dvd.
I clip off the beggining graphics, except for 20th century fox, I like their searchlight graphics.
Sometimes nix end credits to save on having to compress so much.
Deep analysis. Save.
Nero express, or vision express as I am doing today. I want to turn my Led Zepplin "Song Remains The Same" 2 channel ac3 dvd into a 5.1 Dolby digital dvd.
The 5.1 plug in is $20.
Be sure to get the NVE3 Patch.

Collapse -
Yep tried both the DVD Decryptor & DVD Shrink
by ihop4no1 / May 2, 2005 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: nero

Both work well. The DVD Decryptor converted to an ISO file just fine and the DVD Shrink, I can actually use all by itself. Don't even need the decryption.

Thanks everybody!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.