HolidayBuyer's Guide

Linux forum

General discussion

DVD Writing for Linux ?

by jcasabla / December 3, 2003 11:23 AM PST

What support is currently available for Linux to write DVD's ? I'm looking for hardware DVD writer models that:

1) work well in both Win2K and Linux
2) use firewire interface (what kind of support does Linux have for firewire ?)
3) are there any models out there that have both USB and firewire interfaces ?
4) must be external, as I want to make it work with Win2K laptops and workstations, Linux laptops and workstations

Additionally, what Linux software is out there that interfaces with the DVD writer hardware ? Any pointers in the right direction are much appreciated.

Thx !!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Writing for Linux ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Writing for Linux ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:DVD Writing for Linux ?
by jcasabla / December 3, 2003 12:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:DVD Writing for Linux ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2003 8:04 PM PST

Was that 329USD? You don't want to know I picked up some all format DVD recorder for $79 at OfficeMax and that there is software to record DVD for Linux.

I would not at this time put it in the external USB 2.0 (about $55) case under Linux.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:DVD Writing for Linux ?
by chuckieu / December 4, 2003 4:32 AM PST

Bob, your comment about software to burn DVDs makes me wonder. I have been unable to find a program that will let me even "play" a DVD in RH9. If anyone knows of a program that will reliably install to play DVDs, I would
appreciate it. Power DVD isn't usable. Xine wouldn't install. chuck

Collapse -
DVD playing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2003 6:29 AM PST

Sorry, only non-encrypted DVD's play without issue. And RH is not supporting this so you are very much on your own. I have Suse 9.0 and Mandrake 9.2

Maybe someone with RH 9.0 will share.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:DVD playing.
by fred_beondo / December 4, 2003 5:47 PM PST
In reply to: DVD playing.

I was able to play DVDs in RH9 when I ran it. I used either Ogle or Xine. You need libdvdcss in order to play encrypted dvds at all no matter which player you choose.
The version of xine that comes with SuSE 8.2 and 9 is crippled. I don't know why they bother packaging it

Collapse -
Crippled by design. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2003 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: Re:DVD playing.

To play DVDs in most countries on a device requires a license of about 2 dollars to http://www.mpegla.com/

This issue is widely discussed and I won't duplicate it. You can if you want, but in a nutshell, the Suse, RH and others can't supply a fully functional DVD player without running afoul of the above.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Crippled by design. Here's why.
by fred_beondo / December 5, 2003 5:19 AM PST

Intervideo has been talking about LinDVD for at least the past two years. I think most users would be willing to pay for a product that works to avoid the confusion over how to get dvd playback working with freeware tools. It wasn't particularly clear to me how to do it but I'm pretty stubborn and finally got it. I guess there are alot of software developers that don't think there's money to be made from a bunch of people who run a free OS.

Collapse -
Make it easy to work with all DVD's and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2003 5:54 AM PST

You can get it to work with the known softwares. But at the moment a distro can't do it and if you or I made some easy to install "click here" solution, the phone would ring and...

"Hello Mr. L. Developer. It has come to our attention your software LDVD-Player has no MPEGLA agreements. Contact our law firm immediately to discuss this matter."

Or some other not-so-nice call.

Bob

Collapse -
Fred, thanks for the post.
by chuckieu / December 5, 2003 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re:DVD playing.

Tried both Ogle and Xine. Downloaded all files recommended, still had dependency issues. Will try again
since I reinstalled on the replacement HDD(and I have more of a clue). chuck

Collapse -
Try 3D OS
by indovb / September 9, 2009 10:50 AM PDT

You can try PCLinux3D OS (http://www.pclinux3d.com), all DVD software can play well.

Collapse -
Re:DVD Writing for Linux ?
by fred_beondo / December 4, 2003 5:53 PM PST

Xcdroast will write to dvds if you use cdrecord-ProDVD. Google searh for xcdroast. There's alot of info on that page. K3b supposedly burns dvds (as a a matter of fact I used it yesterday to copy an unencrypted dvd) but it also requires cdrecord-ProDVD to do that. I haven't tried copying encrypted dvds. I just rip then to avis with dvd::rip and transcode. The NEC 1300a is a 4X dvd+/- R/RW drive available in a number of places for around $110. Comes with no sofware though.

Collapse -
Try 79USD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2003 9:17 PM PST

I picked up the 79 dollar DVD all format recorder from OfficeMax and have yet to do much with it other than open it and start the rebate papers. It's some Top-G (Top Glory) produced model and comes with Roxio's software.

You'll find multi-format DVD recorders soon for 99USD all over, so bide your time if you can.

Bob

Collapse -
Size is not correct after writing the data inti a DVD
by dvnaveen / August 21, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

Hi,

I have LG DVD writer,and a Ubuntu OS. IN that I have written a sum of 2.6 GB of data in to a DVD with the Help of K3B Software, After writing the data to DVD in 8X it is showing 2.4 GB.

Why it is So?

and even I have tried in WindowsXP, after writing the same data in Nero it is showing 2.3 GB.

I am surprised, why it is showing like that?
Is it has any specific reason or what would have happened?

Thanks....

Collapse -
hmm
by GODhack / August 26, 2009 5:34 AM PDT

Strange maybe different programs use different ways to calculate size. You know little mess with 1000 and 1024. But this is just ques. Actually I do not care until it just works.

Collapse -
hi
by dvnaveen / August 27, 2009 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

It's a huge date, that is 2.6GB of memory... approx 3,58,000 of files. I can't check it by one by one.
Any Technical details plz...

Collapse -
makeisofs
by GODhack / August 30, 2009 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

makeisofs

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.