TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

DVD with Pictures Failed

by Tom_SF / July 6, 2013 7:01 AM PDT

I have a DVD that was Flash-formatted and I used it to store pictures. It failed to work today but the properties showed that something was on the disc. I tried it on another machine and it still wouldn't open so I know it's not the computer. I even copied the disc and got the same results.

I've since put my pics on CD's which have never failed me but I'm at a loss to see why this DVD would fail.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD with Pictures Failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD with Pictures Failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What is Flash formatted?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

That's a new term for me but CD/DVD as a writable drive has always been iffy. You may encounter folk that never had it fail then one day it does. There is only only lesson from this and that's why we never reduce the copies of what we can't lose to just one or one place.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 7 gives the user an option.
by Tom_SF / July 6, 2013 12:22 PM PDT

In Windows 7, if I place a fresh DVD or CD in the drive, it gives me the option of formatting the disc so I can use it as an editable flash drive, similar to a thumb drive, or I can use it as a non-editable disc where I can only put what I want at one time. I've never had a problem with my CD's with pictures on them, only with DVD's. I'm really trying to find out if this is a common occurrence or not.

Collapse -
Yes, it's a too common failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 3:13 PM PDT

And it increases as the drive and media age.

Frankly I will not enter into any debate but my advice is to ignore that feature. If you want you can put your content in some folder on the hard drive then put that folder on some DVD-RW when you want a copy there. I used to, before flash drives plummeted in price erase a DVD RW then put the folder I wanted to backup on the disc. Essentially I had an editable DVD but without the possible loss.
Bob

Collapse -
Good Info.
by Tom_SF / July 7, 2013 12:30 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. The computer I'm using is not even a year old and it works great. I tried that DVD on another machine. Do you think the flash drives are a lot more reliable? I'll have to invest in some if that's the case.

Collapse -
Not reliable enough to use as the last copy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2013 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Info.

In fact, the most trouble I see folk get into is when they drive down their family photo collection to one last copy on one last device or media.

I have yet to have an USB Flash drive fail but I'm sure it will happen to me like everyone else. I would never trust a single device with my last copy.

-> Using DVD or CD as a flash drive is chancy enough but when you go to other machines it increases the chance of a wipe out. The old fashioned erase, make a closed session removes some chance.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.