TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD w/1080 upscaling vs Bluray: Whats the difference?

by Evil Chocula / February 20, 2008 5:48 AM PST

Hi-
So if you can buy a DVD player that upscales to 1080i, how noticable could the difference on an Bluray player be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD w/1080 upscaling vs Bluray: Whats the difference?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD w/1080 upscaling vs Bluray: Whats the difference?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BIG
by givemeaname / February 20, 2008 6:08 AM PST

upscaling is just that, you can't take 420p & turn into 1080p or 720p. YES It is a night & day diffence between dvd's & BD's. IF you sit way past the max viewing distance of your sized tv then your not going to see much change, but you would still get richer colors & better sound.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

There is NO technology that can turn a 420p disc (SDdvd) so it looks 1080p or even 720p.

420p is about 500,000 pixels (dvds)
720p is 1,100,000 pixels (TOA-HD, HD cable & HD satellite)
1080p is 2,200,000 pixels (BD's)

Collapse -
edit
by givemeaname / February 20, 2008 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: BIG

720p is 922,000 pixels
1080i is 1,100,000 pixels

Collapse -
From my experience
by Dan Filice / February 20, 2008 6:19 AM PST

My setup:

-Sony 55" SXRD
-Oppo DVD player, upconverts to 1080i, connected via HDMI to TV.
-PS3 Blu-Ray, plays 1080p/24fps and it upconverts to 1080p, connected via HDMI to TV.

My observations using the standard DVD and Blu-Ray version of "Sunshine" (I liked the movie so much in SD I bought the BD too):

The Oppo and PS3 look basically identical when playing the standard-def "Sunshine" DVD. I tried various settings on the Oppo, trying 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Unfortunately I can't do a split screen using the PS3 and Oppo simultaneously. To me, they looked identical, or very close. The images looked quite good.

Viewing the Blu-Ray version of "Sunshine" on the PS3: All I can say is "Stunning!" The close-ups of the astronauts were definitely sharper. I could see every bead of sweat and every pore in their skin. I felt as though I was right there, in the space ship with the crew. A definite difference from the upconverted DVD, which was good, but the SD disc had a definitely less-crisp image vs Blu-Ray.

I don't know if the Blu-Ray looked better because the Sony TV was utilizing the 1080p/24fps with 120HZ processing or if it was simply a matter of the Blu-Ray being simply better. Both SD and BD were excellent, but the BD disc did have an obvious advantage.

Collapse -
That's a good movie
by givemeaname / February 20, 2008 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: From my experience

I have the BD version & woow!!! + it is a good sci-fi movie too Happy

I got an a2000 with a samsung bd-p1200 hooked-up.

Collapse -
SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. ENJOY!!!
by Riverledge / February 20, 2008 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: That's a good movie

riverledge.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!