TVs & Home Theaters forum

dvd/vcr doesn't copy video

by jaymaki / October 4, 2012 9:52 AM PDT

I just purchased a 620 dvd/vcr recorder to record off satellite. Previously had a panasonic that did it well but it finally died.

The manual is pretty useless so I put a dvd in and hit record (I selected finalize in settings). I hit RECORD and then waited for 90 minutes (a movie) but when I stopped it and played I only had audio. the screen was black.

Since it did record audio, I figure that maybe some video cables are mixed up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dvd/vcr doesn't copy video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dvd/vcr doesn't copy video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Let's not discount the old copy protection. It's called?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 10:11 AM PDT

It's called MacroVision and some older recorders blissfully ignored it. Too bad you didn't detail what the video source was so folk could check if it had MacroVision protection.

With that out of the way, it's a bit easy to check if you had the right video output. Instead of hooking it to the recorder, connect it to some display for a test.

Collapse -
Video source
by jaymaki / October 4, 2012 12:52 PM PDT

Not sure what macro is, but I had Panasonic dvd/vcr combo and had no problems for 6 yrs until Panasonic packed in. Copy protection is another issue, I'm just copying a TV show to watch later, you know, like VHS? Apparently this unit is a little more complicated, manual is useless and I do believe I just have to play with it, just hoped that someone had an answer.

Collapse -
This is something you can research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Video source

Head to your favorite web search site and research MacroVision. I don't want to duplicate the web here and I already noted that some recorders ignored it.

Collapse -
To refine what Bob said
by Pepe7 / October 5, 2012 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Video source

He nailed it out of the park. I will translate.

Your old player (likely) had the capability to circumvent a copy protection scheme called Macrovision, which is implemented in a lot of commercially produced content on VHS (etc.). The newer players usually 'follows the rules' and will not facilitate such copying.

Collapse -
by jaymaki / October 5, 2012 4:47 AM PDT

I read the install instructions and realized I put a S-Video plug in the "in" rather than the "out". I changed it and the picture came back. I tried a DVD and picture was fine. But NO AUDIO!! This is making me crazy. I might return it and just get a DVD recorder.

Collapse -
Glad you at least got part of it to work
by Pepe7 / October 5, 2012 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: almost

Checking the cables. D'oh! Wink

How are you audio cables connected, btw?

Collapse -
will check
by jaymaki / October 5, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

That's the next thing, I gotta pull an entertainment center out each time so I'm holding off. I had my TV and TiVo hooked to my old Panasonic dvd/vcr and I may be connecting it wrong. It seems just a matter of trial and error.

Collapse -
Are there any audio configuration settings?
by Pepe7 / October 6, 2012 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: will check

Anything buried in the menus/setup regarding the type of audio outputs/inputs being assigned to a particular type (analog vs digital)?

Collapse -
those are ok
by jaymaki / October 6, 2012 2:13 AM PDT

The menu is pretty light, and I was also connected to a stereo unit for better sound. It's a little confusing but it worked fine until this unit. I'm considering returning it as I don't want to waste the rest of my time trying to figure out how to get audio and video. I'm not a neophyte, and I can't figure this out. I think I'll try just a recorder and not the combo deck. All I really use it for is copying stuff from TiVo now and then. Anything else I use streamclip on my iMac.

I'll give it one more try, read the manual over again and if no go, then back she goes. It just came on Monday.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?