TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD/VCR combo to play both DVD and record VHS w digital t?

I'm searching for something that may not exist any more... a combo VCR/DVD to play DVD and record/play VHS w digital tuner?

I want to be able to record from an antenna onto vhs, and play back, and watch dvds. If one can dub vhs to dvd would be nice, but being a dinosaur in terms of the digital world, am simply asking if I can find such a machine now.

If so, what are the model numbers and where?

I have called around and find a tremendous amount of confusion of the sales people saying that such and such will record vhs, but then the next person says no, it will only play vhs and dub over to dvd.

I phoned Sony, they said they had some reconditioned ones but only 30 days to evaluate (including shipping) and only 90 day warranty and I pay shipping both ways. hmm.

Or if you have a better idea, please let me know.

Please give me suggestions if you would. Thx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD/VCR combo to play both DVD and record VHS w digital t?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD/VCR combo to play both DVD and record VHS w digital t?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DVD/VHS combo units

In reply to: DVD/VCR combo to play both DVD and record VHS w digital t?

A few months back I was looking at replacing an older Panasonic DVD/VHS combo (no HDMI but with Component) unit I have in the bedroom and I found a newer version at Target made my Panasonic. I can't remember the model number, but it was a DVD recorder/player and VHS recorder/player with a digital tuner. I didn't buy it because I ended up with a Blu-Ray DVD player and kept my old combo unit. But, I would have purchased the Panasonic unit. It cost $279. Yes, it's not $89 like most people want to spend, but good quality stuff costs money. Oh, I didn't see the Panasonic unit on Target.com but they had it in the store.

Collapse -
coincidentally... I phoned Target

In reply to: DVD/VHS combo units

... and they said nothing that would record to vhs ;-( But I will ask if they have any Panasonic unit for that price. I agree, it's steep, but it would be worth it. Thanks for that info!

This digital change is interesting but frustrating. Right now, I have local stations cable, and my analog tv and vcr seem ok with that, tho have not tried time recording (which is my aim Wink

I also have a new lcd tv here for now, and wow, it is getting a million channels-- guess they are the new digital ones. But I can't record or playbck to the vcr even with the local cable... even just local stations. Just discovered that.

Collapse -
Is this vcr/dvd the same thing?

In reply to: coincidentally... I phoned Target

Dan (or anyone else),

I found this at Costco...
SOLD OUT
$229.99 after $40 OFF
Panasonic
Progressive Scan DVD Recorder w/ VHS VCR
Multi-Format Playback
Item # 290022

But it's not exactly the same model numbers as I was given. It is DMR-EZ485v. Says DVD recorder, HDMI cable, multi format recording an playback but does not (on box mention vcr). One guy at Costco said yes, would tape vcr from antenna; the other guy said, no. SIGH. Is it a wonder I'm confused?

Anyhow, if you have any insight into this please let me know! Wink

Thanks.

C.

Collapse -
Panny does have Tuner

In reply to: Is this vcr/dvd the same thing?

Collapse -
vcr/dvd

In reply to: Panny does have Tuner

Thanks, Dan.
Yes, sometimes the numbers are off cuz things are sold thru Costco, I've noticed.

What I find confusing about these vcr/dvd deals, if they HAVE a digital tuner, is that all you must have to record on both vhs and dvd? Is it that simple?

Because some have said they record on dvd and you can upgrade your vhs's, which sure doens't sound like the same thing. But if it has a digital tuner, by definitely would it mean it would work for both?

I yam confoosed. If they'd only say, "record DVDs. P:lay DVDs. Record VHS. Play VHS." then I'd understand!

The fact tha thalf athe folks at Costco don't know what's going on doesn't help

Collapse -
Yes, confusing

In reply to: vcr/dvd

Since I don't own a DVD/VHS combo that has a DVD recorder, I can't honestly tell you if the DVD portion can record directly off-air like the VHS portion can. I think to do this would require some sort of buffer to hold the info while it burns to DVD, and I just don't know if this unit has this. On some of these units, the DVD portion is meant to record only from VHS. You can certainly call Panasonic and ask their support people. Go to www.panasonic.com and click on Consumer Products, then click on Support and you should get either a phone number, or better yet, a live chat person to answer your questions. In this case, your computer is your best friend. Use it wisely my friend.

Collapse -
panasonic dvd/vcr

In reply to: Yes, confusing

Took your advice only there was no live chat option. So I sent them an email, which hopefully they will reply to.

So, soon we will learn what the heck this unit does! lol.

Thanks!

Collapse -
panasonic

In reply to: Yes, confusing

Crud.
It won't record off air from the VCR. ;-(

Back to the drawing board. I'm running out of places!

Collapse -
vcr/dvd recorder combo

Me again.
Dan, got a guy at Target who said they had had them but none in now. Price was $399. Doesn't know if they will get more because, well, folks at Costco want cheap stuff and this is not cheap.

But I will keep looking!

Any ideas how I'd find out if other major brands make one? I phoned Sony already. What other major companies might... Samsung perhaps?

Thanks for your suggestion. Maybe I can pester Target to order one for me.

Collapse -
and for $400...

there's got to be a better alternative (and I think it's out there). Why the vcr? Like you say..it's a dinosaur.

Collapse -
Why a VCR?

In reply to: and for $400...

I still use the VCR side of my combo unit because it makes it very simple to record a program then import it into my computer to delete commercials and burn a DVD. I do this to stuff that doesn't need an HD picture, like program that I want to watch on vacation or save for conenience viewing. I recorded the History Channel program about the history of the Star Wars movies, which I burned to DVD. When I record stuff to the DVR, it's not convenient to import into the computer or burn to DVDs. Yes, the quality stinks, but for convenience viewing, it's fine.

Collapse -
That's because you have a vcr but what are you going ...

In reply to: Why a VCR?

to do when they stop produce vcr at any price? You'll be looking for alternative (I bet).

Collapse -
vcr/dvd combo recorder

In reply to: That's because you have a vcr but what are you going ...

Oops, I'm so sorry. I mistyped. Target had had the Panasonic DMREZ48 for $299, NOT $399.

I phoned Sony, they say their model is RDRVXD65 and was made 4 years ago (guess only reconditioned ones sold)? I find it confusing how to tell from a description if a machine records on VHS or only on the DVD part. For instance, on this page: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=vcr+dvd+combo+recorder&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0

are 2, 4, 5 recording on VHS, or do they only "upscale" to DVD?

I understand, of course, the item has to have a tuner! But can someone tell me how to tell the difference since the descriptions are not clear to me?

Or, simply, i fyou know models other than the Panasonic and the old Sony? Or which companies are likely to have one (I could phone them)?

Thanks!!

Collapse -
The one that are shown on the link...

In reply to: vcr/dvd combo recorder

none of them have a built-in tuner.

Collapse -
Combo's with Tuners

In reply to: vcr/dvd combo recorder

Take a look at: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Video/DVD-Recorders-Players/DVD-Recorders.list.75012_11002_7000000000000005702 . I like this model: DMR-EZ48VK.

Panasonic lists a few combo units that all have digital tuners capable of recording TV shows, and they have a DVD recorder. My Panasonic combo unit does not up-convert, but I would assume that the upconversion to 1080p only applies to the DVD side of the unit, not the VHS side.

Ahtoi, yes I know that VCRs will cease to exist at some point, and I will embrace whatever technology will allow me to burn DVDs of recorded TV shows. At this moment, it's a pain to ingest TV shows from the DVR to a computer to burn DVDs. So for now, and until the VCR ceases to exist, the VCR is an easy, cheap (but low quality) way to allow burning DVDs of recorded TV shows.

Collapse -
Better collect some of those old vcr from your friends,

In reply to: Combo's with Tuners

it will come in handy someday; and I think I will hold on to the 3 that I have. But my problem is the cable signal (too much noise/snow) and I seem unable to get a good rf amp. at least the 2 that I bought didn't work for me at all ( by hannel master).

Collapse -
vcr snow

In reply to: Better collect some of those old vcr from your friends,

speaking of which, my vcr made perfect copies from my antenna.
Now that I have cable, it plays back with some specks (not snow but a bit annoying).

Wonder why?

Collapse -
compressed content via cable not always so good

In reply to: vcr snow

Many of the channels are heavily compressed to conserve bandwidth. This is generally why some still look like garbage, regardless of whether or not you are paying for 'digital' cable.

-Pedro

Collapse -
finding one

Well BestBuy has them at $309.00... Home Depot (since when do they have this kind of stuff?) says it is out. That left Fry's, which can order it. They are not that close.

I will see if Sears or Target will order... that would be best.

Collapse -
panasonic you mentioned

It doesn't say it records to VHS from the tuner. But it does? For sure?

It is confusing since they don't say so.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Recording TV Programs

In reply to: panasonic you mentioned

Collapse -
ez48 sale

In reply to: panasonic you mentioned

costco I was told has them on sale for $229 till july 5

Collapse -
costco

In reply to: ez48 sale

They are out of them. I wonder if they even got them in...

Collapse -
they don't record on vhs

In reply to: ez48 sale

I just found this out in case you or someone else is interested. Only records on dvd

Collapse -
playing dvd in another player

I just got my dad the magnavox 2160 hdd dvr, He already had the pannyez48
Here is the delema- He finally learned how to record to dvd as I got him the +rw sony discs to make it easier (he still cant figure out home much "tape" is left on the disc ) anyway, when he brought the disc up to the mag to play it, the disc menu does not show up. It plays fine, but we do not know what is on the disc when put in the magnavox.
He gave me a disc to try on my phillips 3576 HDD and it does not show up either- is that common with either of these units?
That will be a problem when he is recording 2 programs, one on the dvd on the panny in the basement and another on the mag.
watching will be done on the mag as mom does not like to go to the fully furnished basement to watch

Collapse -
Here is a suggestion.

In reply to: playing dvd in another player

Why not put the letter M or P on the disc and tell him to use the corresponding discs for that machine only (Magnavox or Panasonic).

Collapse -
index

In reply to: Here is a suggestion.

actually that will not work, because he tapes one of the soaps that is on at them same time another is for my mom on the panasonic
but she wont go in the basement to watch it and there is no other tv upstairs to hook it to , it is a 46 inch in the basement and too big to put upstairs.
Someone else said to set it as compatable and that may work
will have him try it

Collapse -
With re-writable discs,

In reply to: index

it's not always possible to make compatible. A little more expensive alternative would be to get another Magnavox or Panasonic.

Collapse -
Magnavox ZV450MW8 DigiVCR/DVD recorder- Walmart - about $90

has a digital receiver. Before getting Comcast digital box, we could record (VCR or DVD)one channel and watch another. Last week, rec'd Comcast digital box and since it requires TV/VCR on channel 3, we can now only record what we're watching. Would this work?- get another cable box with cable to VCR, then VCR to TV? Or better suggestions? Thanks

Collapse -
Even though you have digital set top box,

In reply to: Magnavox ZV450MW8 DigiVCR/DVD recorder- Walmart - about $90

Have you try using a splitter anyway? In my case (with the exception of the snow/noise that I mentioned), I am able to get the cable channels (up to 99). Of course this ruled out many channels, but still..it works.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!