TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

DVD/VCR combo issues. Can it be fixed? Other options?

by Scoobyfan / January 1, 2014 3:11 PM PST

Hi Everyone! Happy New Year. Could you please read the following and tell me what you think -- or direct me to some of your videos that might help?

I'm sorry this is so long!

Short Version/Questions:
1. Can I salvage my DVD Player/VCR combo?
2. Can I hook up the above to my TV and cable box with a new DVD or Blue-Ray player?
3. Can I get a player that just requires the power cord and HDMI cable hookup to the DVD player?
4. Any product recommendations for someone who doesn't want to get so frustrated that she might throw all the equipment out the window?
5. Would a Smart Blue-Ray just complicate issues if I combine them with my TV, DVD player/VCR, and cable box?

My Story:
My Samsung DVD Player/Video recorder, about 8 years old, was working fine, until I inserted a homemade DVD copy of a movie and tried to play it. It tried to load it, but did not recognize the DVD. (I wasn't sure what type of format was used to create the DVD movie. I only know it was made by a friend who has experience in creating DVD copies.)

Anyway, the DVD player kept making weird crunching/scraping/whirring noises, and the TV screen read "Can't read disk" or something to that effect. Afterward, I tried other DVDs (store-bought shows like "The Munsters") that used to work in the player, but they don't play either. I tried them in my sister's DVD player, with the same results. Do you know why? I can play these DVDs in my computer, though.
I would like to play DVDs in a player, so I can watch them on my HDTV screen rather than my small laptop screen -- especially when I have friends over. Is there a way to fix the DVD/Player combo? Using my laptop as a player is a big ordeal I don't want to undertake, since it involves changing too many settings than the ordinary laptop.

I like to keep my VCR, since I do occasionally record programs that air while I'm away or sleeping -- but not enough to warrant paying extra money for TiVo/DVR and my cable subscriber.

I did call Samsung, who instructed me on how to reset the unit to factory settings, but that didn't work. The VCR part works fine.

I have an HDMI cable hanging around and my Sanyo TV is HDMI compatible.

I hope someone can help! Again, I'm sorry this is so long!

Please let me know if I should post this on the Samsung Message Board.

Scoobyfan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD/VCR combo issues. Can it be fixed? Other options?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD/VCR combo issues. Can it be fixed? Other options?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Scoobyfan

Collapse -
As Kees pointed out,
by Oldartq / January 1, 2014 6:35 PM PST

you are very likely need a new dvd player. The player is probably damage now because of what has happened. There are two possible reasons for the cause of what you describe. Cheap dvd media (too light/thin), or the dvd was not proper set in the tray...which may have cause the player to be malfunction now. Of course it is a puzzle as to why your sister's player don't play either. Of course the VCR should still be ok.

Collapse -
Hook up?
by Scoobyfan / January 2, 2014 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: As Kees pointed out,

If I get a new DVD player, can I hook it up to my existing DVD/VCR combo (so I can use the VCR) which is connected to the TV and cable box? Or will a DVD player with a direct hdmi hook up work?

By the way, thanks for responding!

Collapse -
What is the model of that dvd/vcr?
by Oldartq / January 2, 2014 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Hook up?

We need to find out what connection the vcr has to see what we can do with it.

Collapse -
VCR/DVD Player
by Scoobyfan / January 2, 2014 2:34 PM PST

Hi Oldartq!

My DVD/VCR combo is a DVD-8500.

By the way, I have tried to reset to factory settings by pressing the FF and REW buttons simultaneously, but that didn't work. Neither did unplugging the unit while turned on. (Both were suggested by the Samsung tech.

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
Check your model # again
by Pepe7 / January 2, 2014 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: VCR/DVD Player
Collapse -
You're right!
by Scoobyfan / January 3, 2014 9:08 AM PST

Hi Pepe7, you're right -- I did forget a letter in the model number. I'm sorry about that! It is DVD-V8500. Thanks for pointing that out!

Collapse -
Wow, small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: You're right!

My neighbor had that and even new it was not friendly to rented DVDs and didn't play hardly any recorded optical media. I told them to use it till it breaks and move on.
Bob

Collapse -
Interesting!
by Scoobyfan / January 4, 2014 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Wow, small world.

Wow! Mine was friendly with rented and purchased DVDs -- until the latest fiasco when I tried the homemade DVD, which I thought was properly formatted. I guess those units get cranky in their old age!

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone! I didn't know that thinner DVDs can cause issues. Now I have to find a DVD player -- or a Blu-Ray with WiFi that's compatible with my Netgear router and Sanyo TV. I know that's probably another post on another board! Happy

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Every once in a while
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting!

You'll see a 40 buck BD player on woot com that has wifi and more. That works out to 45 bucks or about what most drop on one movie at a theater.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks so much!
by Scoobyfan / January 4, 2014 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Every once in a while

R Proffitt,

Thanks so much. I'm going to look into Woot.com. It sure sounds like a deal -- and I sure need one considering all the unforeseen expenses I've had this year!

Collapse -
Computer & camera made DVDs are quite variable
by Pepe7 / January 4, 2014 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting!

Normally, we find a method that works for our hardware, but quite typically it's the home produced DVDs that won't play on certain players sometimes for a whole variety of reasons. The DVD recording standard is a hot mess at best.

Not sure who told you that 'thin' DVDs (whatever that means) could cause problems. I believe that assertion is not based on fact but more on what they read on the interwebs. FWIW, I've had absolute crap (at least visually) quality generic cake boxes burn 99/100 times successfully, and a big batch of verbatims ($$$) go sour about half the time. YMMV, as always when you are burning.

Luckily, either or your solutions is relatively cheap.

Collapse -
You can certainly do that, if...
by Oldartq / January 2, 2014 6:54 PM PST
In reply to: Hook up?

there is no more reason to connect the dvd player to the vcr. In that case, you could get either a dvd player or a blu-ray player with hdmi connection going directly to the TV.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: player
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 1, 2014 4:14 PM PST

The best solution seems to be to buy a new DVD-player.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?