Peripherals forum

General discussion

DVD tray won't open correctly.

by Lkdiam / January 17, 2010 10:26 AM PST

Got quite a strange issue with a lite-on drive. IHAS324 is the model number, your standard DVD/RW, all that jazz. Anyways.

The door won't open correctly. Push the button, nada. There's a click when the button is pushed, so it's making contact. The drive will open via the 'paperclip' method, and when it's already open, the button will close, or set the door to 'reopening' before it settles all the way. I can even get it to open again if I push the button before the drive has settled completely. But, if I allow the door to close completely, button pushes do nothing.

The drive is only 90 days old, so it shouldn't be worn out, at least one would hope. Just peering through the open door, the drive belt is intact. Any ideas out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD tray won't open correctly.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD tray won't open correctly.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or... not.
by Lkdiam / January 17, 2010 10:36 AM PST

Nevermind all. Killing the drivers and a reboot seems to have fixed the problem. Why? I have no idea. I just know that I hate drivers.

Collapse -
A thought
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2010 7:31 PM PST
In reply to: Or... not.

I've had similar problems and, if the drive was good, it's almost always come down to some mechanical alignment problem. Any slight twisting of the chassis or fouling of the door caused by how it sits in the case will do this. It may work now but maybe just temporarily. You want to make sure that the drive fits nicely in its slot without having to force it in or out to remove or replace it. You want to make sure that you don't have to twist anything to get screw holes to line up. It needs to sit nice and relaxed in the case or you may have problems opening and closing the door. The click you may be hearing is the mechanism to open it. But, when it encounters resistance, it returns to home. Test that by opening the door and blocking with your hand.

Collapse -
Checkout
by Willy / January 17, 2010 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Or... not.

On top of what Steven offered, I just like to pass on, if you practice closing the drive by hand pushing the tray, refrain from that. More often than not, sooner or later it binds or causes a mechanical problem. I thought the drivers were at fault, though that can be it, I find it rather more a physical issue. Regardless, repeated closing by hand will make the tray stick. Once, that happens, repeated eject cmds from the s/w will tire the motor(if not opening) causing yet further or more permanent wear. I suggest, to reseat the drive as Steven offered and try again. If the problem crops-up again, just replace or use warranty. Verify side-to-side contact at PC case covering.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
DVD tray won't open correctly
by Jtechonline / October 4, 2010 7:01 AM PDT

Had a neighbor bring me his computer with the same problem. If he left a cd/dvd in the drive it will work fine. Taking apart the drive I found out the problem is the magnet on the spinner. When you close the drive it makes contact with the plate that hangs on the top of the drive to help keep the disk on the spinner. With a cd/dvd in it, it puts some space in between the magnet and the plate above. When there is no disk it's pretty much direct contact so the magnetic force is hard to pull off and you have to use a paper clip to open the door and pry it off that plate.

Collapse -
Seems LG has a major issue with the door opening.
by alientecky / March 16, 2012 11:52 PM PDT

I have 3 LG drives all having these problems. The first time I thought it was a fluke and I put a little velcro on the door to pull the door open after sticking a pin in. Since that was such a hassel I bought another LG drive and after a few months, that also developed the same problem. Now the door will open with the disk inside it but with an empty drive it just blinks the led a few times and act like it wants to open but wont. So after gettign tired of sticking a pin in every time I wanted the empty drive open I got another LG drive. This was a smaller version of the other, IE it was not as long.. After a few months this also now started developing the same problem. So now I have to keep a disk inside if I ever want to open the door. I tried sticking some tape on the spindel but then the disk wont stay seated properly and during high speed writes the disk will skip making the dvd useless.

I even tried greasing the rails and moving parts but none of that helped. It seems the top part which is a small metal plate inside a plastic hub that jams the Dvd onto the spindel is not well made. There just is not enough spacing to pull it off for the tray to be able to open. You cant really do much with the top part since that has to spin free to keep the disk in place during operation not much we can do about it. seems to be a major design flaw with LG drives. Some way to dampen the magnetic force so it drops off easier but I never imagined the magnet would get stronger as time goes by.

Collapse -
Been dealing with this for 13 years.
by Thornberry27 / August 9, 2012 10:47 AM PDT

Everything said in this forum is correct. The magnet is indeed causing the tray to stick. Early on, in 1999, I discovered that if one merely gives the tray door a strong tap, the tray will open. This shakes the magnet enough so that it will drop and allow the tray to open.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!