General discussion

DVD Surround Sound Help!

I have a Sony DVP NS305 DVD player. I am thinking of buying a 5.1 surround sound system for my Dvd player but I don't know much about surround. I have seen DVd players with all the five connectors for the surround speakers and the sub woofer and all, but my DVD player just has one extra port called the "Digital Out - PCM/DTS/Dolby Digital/Mpeg.........Coaxial" I just wanted to know that if i buy a surround sound system with the five speakers and subwoofer and an A/V reciever, will I be able to connect my DVD player to the system through this single Digital out port. Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Reply to: DVD Surround Sound Help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DVD Surround Sound Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -

yes, you will connect that digital output from the dvd player to the A/V receiver. This is actually the most common type of system setup. I have never seen a dvd player that has all the audio jacks to connect the speakers for a 5.1 system directly to it, weird.

- Collapse -

You helped a lot, thanks. Well, there are chinese non-branded DVD players available in my country which are very cheap, you can get one for about 50$ and you won't believe how much features and ports and everything they have in those cheap DVD players, but then again, they are not reliable, they can stop working only after a week you buy them, and you can't do anything about it because they come without a warranty, still people buy em, and for some people they last for years! Those lucky few!

- Collapse -

I suspect that the multitude of connections referred to are the 5.1 audio outs (RCA jacks) that one would connect to the external inputs on an HT receiver for multi-channel music (SACD), or to older Dolby Digital-ready receivers that didn't have a built-in DD decoder. My Pioneer players have these outputs. For movies, 2-channel and DVDA (I think) only the digital connection is necessary.

CNET Forums

Forum Info