Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

DVD's Not Working

I have a network set up between my two computers.
I just accidentally realized that all the DVDs I burnt on the Slave, will not be recognized on the Master. How can I override this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD's Not Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD's Not Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wha??

In reply to: DVD's Not Working

Want to explain why you think a DVD burned on one system won't work on the other? There shouldn't be any problems.

Collapse -
Could be a simple issue.

The master drive (a DVROM drive) may not be capable of reading recorded media. Not all DVDROM drives can do this. Also some, as they age show their age by not reading DVDRW, then DVDR and finally failing.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Could be a simple issue.

The thing is though, one of the discs does work, on the Master, if the Slave is on, and the Master reads every other disc perfectly. Only the ones recorded on the Slave are not read. There must be some information on the disc relating to the networking.
I am still yet to try if these discs work on other computers. BTW, the discs burnt by the slave are perfectly read by the Slave, so I can save them later by transferring to the Master.

I know it sounds crazy, but I tried it with many discs since I've realized this.

Collapse -
You didn't provide details.

In reply to: Reply

No make/model of each drive. If you had done so I could have checked if there were firmware updates. Also I forgot to ask if the sessions were "closed."

Bob

Collapse -
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

In reply to: You didn't provide details.

The model in the Master and the Slave is PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D.

The sessions were closed, they work perfectly on DVD players.

But the fact that the disc only works when the Slave is on, proves that it is a networking related issue.

I use a router and it perfectly works in every respect.

Collapse -
The terminoly wipes us out here.

In reply to: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

A "slave" when we write about a DVD drive is often the master/slave setting on the IDE channel.

As such, forget anything I've written about and let's rewind this to the top with full description of your system. Do not use the word "slave" out of the IDE context.

Bob

Collapse -
master/slave

In reply to: The terminoly wipes us out here.

Okay, I have two identical Pentium 4 computers, with identical Pioneer DVD Burners.
The two computers both connect to the router, so in that sense, none of them is master or slave.
It was just a matter of speech.

One of them, in the living room, is what I use most of the time. All stuff burnt on this, will play on both computers.
The bedroom one, which I use less frequently, is the one that burnt a few DVDs which won't play on the living room computer.

But! The story is even weirder because some DVDs will play on the living room computer if the other is turned on. If I turn it off, then it won't read it.
Those DVDs that were Authored (by TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5) on the bedroom computer, will not read, even if it's turned on.

I know it sounds weird, but this is how it is.

Collapse -
Sorry, can't help.

In reply to: master/slave

TMPeg and such is neat but is not supportable. Here's why. With that you can create less than standard DVDs. That is your choice, but I've learned to never deviate from the stock settings.

Bob

Collapse -
Recap.

Now that the slave word is tossed out and we know the DVD was created with an expect tool, the DVD could be an oddball encoding. Here's a possible fix.

Duplicate the DVD with DVDSHRINK and let it re-encode the video if need be.

Bob

Collapse -
And sharing what I know.

I also create a few DVDs. Although I moved away from TMPeg'ing years ago for a simple reason. I found it was all too easy to create a DVD that would play here and there but not everywhere. Rather than have such worries I moved to Ulead and other tools plus DVDSHRINK to help the compatibilty issues.

I can't help you with TMPeg. Maybe that's not correct, but its my choice to not offer support for it since it's a tarpit of settings and issues.

All I can hope for is you'll learn the lessons quicker than I did.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.