HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD's and Win 98

by stevie byrd / July 21, 2005 11:02 PM PDT

I recently acquired an HP Omnibook 6100 with a cd-rw dvd rom. It had no operating system due to a hard drive replacement, so I installed a legal copy of Windows 98 SE. I've done all the upgrades thru MS and the unit works fine, except that it won't play a DVD. I know the unit works because it plays CD's and writes to CD's just fine. It appears the drive is a Toshiba. Help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD's and Win 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD's and Win 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No free DVD player in WIndows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2005 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD's and Win 98

You get to install software such as WinDVD, PowerDVD or other. It's not free and confuses some that DVD playback is not a feature in this OS.

Bob

Collapse -
Here are some free
by TONI H / July 21, 2005 11:23 PM PDT

Here are some free
VCD and DVD Players that you can download.

The first one with the DIVX Codecs (which are also free) comes with a player that you can install and it's probably one of the best I've seen to be honest.

www.pcwarfare.com/cd-cdrw-dvd/free.video.players.htm

You have to copy and paste the above into the addressbar because the CNET filters wipes out the URL if I put the http:// in front of it to make it clickable. Sorry.....

TONI

Collapse -
What I found...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2005 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Here are some free

What I've found is the free (windows) DVD players only play "unprotected" DVD content. Or rather will not play most DVDs you rent or buy.

If you need to test a DVD installation and have no Windows DVD player, look up GEEXBOX since it's not windows and is some 7 megabytes or less.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD's and Win 98
by jcrobso / July 22, 2005 7:46 AM PDT

Actualy no version of Windows comes with a DVD player!!
Even with XP MCE2005 you must install a 3rd party DVD player for it to work. John

Collapse -
98/ME has a player, but no "decoder".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 9:31 AM PDT

"How to install the DVD player (for Windows 98)

Windows 98 has an internal DVD player, but it isn't installed during Windows setup.
You must extract "manually" DVD player files from cab sources. Those files are dvdplay.chm, dvdplay.cnt, dvdplay.hlp, dvdplay.exe and dvdrgn.exe.
Put them into a folder of your choice, and them move dvdrgn.exe into Windows folder. Run dvdplay.exe to start the player. "
- Noted widely on the web.

But this player is incapable of playing 99% of commercial DVDs. I've found this tip to be useful for playback in a pinch for homemade DVDs.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.