HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

DVD+RW problem

by sheme / March 23, 2008 1:53 AM PDT

Dear all,

I have a problem when copying files from my laptop to DVD+RW.

There are files inside my DVD+RW, so whenever I want to copy or add more files into the DVD+RW, it always ask me to erase all the files inside the DVD+RW before copying or adding files.

Hence, every time I want to copy or add files into the DVD+RW, I have to copy the files inside the DVD+RW to my laptop and then recopy those files from my laptop back to the DVD+RW together with some new added files.

I believe that DVD+RW shouldn't work this way but I really don't know how to solve this problem. Can anyone help.....?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD+RW problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD+RW problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read
by samkh / March 23, 2008 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD+RW problem
Collapse -
Please keep doing that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 3:13 AM PDT

"Hence, every time I want to copy or add files into the DVD+RW, I have to copy the files inside the DVD+RW to my laptop and then recopy those files from my laptop back to the DVD+RW together with some new added files."

That's the safest way to keep your files intact. While InCD and other software will allow use of RW media as a disk drive the stories you read here when it burbs and they want to know how to recover the files are legendary.
Bob

Collapse -
That's the way it works. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 23, 2008 8:39 AM PDT

When I do my backups to DVD-RW I do the quick erase first, then copy files.

On the other hand, if the disk is not full, it should add the files. Not closing the disk will enable this. If you close the session then you need to erase the disk first.

Collapse -
That's the way it works. . .
by sheme / March 23, 2008 6:40 PM PDT

Hi Coryphaeus,

FYI, I know that closing the DVD will not allow me to write my files into the DVD. So, I did not even close it but why I can't write my files into the DVD ever there are more than 50% of the space?

I believe that DVD+RW works like a floopy disk. Hence, can anyone tell me what should I do?

Collapse -
"why I can't write my files into the DVD ever there are more
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 8:48 PM PDT

"why I can't write my files into the DVD ever there are more than 50% of the space?"

The answer to this is "how things work." Have you researched or do you know how file systems and then "packet writing" works? If not you may not be ready for the technical answers. But let it suffice there are limitations to multisession CD/DVDRW use.

Is that good enough?
Bob

Collapse -
why I can't write my files into the DVD ever there are more
by sheme / March 24, 2008 6:39 PM PDT

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your reply. I believe that my problem is not a matter whether my technical knowledge is up to a standard. I believe that copying of data into DVD+RW is a simple thing, just like copying data into diskette.

Hence, if you could guide me the steps of copying the data, that will be great.

FYI, I did format my DVD+RW before the 1st usage. I'm not sure whether formating will affect my DVD.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Re: copying to DVD
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2008 6:47 PM PDT

Two questions.

1. What's your OS (Windows Vista or Windows XP)?
2. What burning program do you use, and how?

Kees

Collapse -
copying to DVD
by sheme / March 24, 2008 7:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: copying to DVD

Hi Kees,

My OS is Win XP Service Pack 2, Home Edition.

The Burning program is Sonic.

Thank you.

Collapse -
"I believe that copying of data into DVD+RW is a simple thin
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 9:19 PM PDT

"I believe that copying of data into DVD+RW is a simple thing, just like copying data into diskette."

That is not true. There are deeper issues here and limitations in the packet writing systems. I can't duplicate how it works here but in a nutshell multisession does have limitations and is not exactly like a diskette.
Bob

Collapse -
have limitations and is not exactly like a diskette
by sheme / March 25, 2008 8:06 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

If it is true as what you mentioned that DVD+RW have limitations and is not exactly like a diskette. In the first place, why DVD+RW is created? How come it is not user-friendly?

Collapse -
Think back in time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 11:05 PM PDT

DOS was considered user friendly just a few decades ago.

Some may not consider this an answer but if we add on that there is NO STANDARD in packet writing and the makers competed (campaigned?) for theirs to be "it" you might begin to understand how we got here.

-> There it is. You would not only want to research how packet writing works but how we got here and the battles/skirmishes along the way.
Bob

Collapse -
Dvd/rw was created so that we can rewrite..
by ahtoi / March 26, 2008 5:12 PM PDT

many many times. We can also use it just like a floppy but what we are trying to tell you is that it is NOT as reliable when use in such method.

Collapse -
DVD+RW solution
by sheme / March 27, 2008 7:10 PM PDT

Sigh.... So many ********* here and there. So, what is the simple solution to write data to DVD+RW without erasing the exsiting data in the disc?

Collapse -
That, without the issue you noted ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD+RW solution

Might be solved by changing which packet writing software you are using.

But then again the lessons learned here show it's not reliable enough. What I find is most won't agree until it happens to them.
Bob

Collapse -
Donṫ know what Sonic call it program, but...
by ahtoi / March 28, 2008 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD+RW solution

Nero call its program ?Incd?.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.