Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD-RW not read by Mac

by padyboy / October 22, 2011 10:31 AM PDT

I have a Mac laptop recently sent on a trial basis by my brother in Tennessee. I am a PC type of guy and am unfamiliar with this os.

I have found that it encounters difficulties with DVD-RW disks. First it refused to play TVS files; I assumed this was because of the file format. Now, it will not play files from the same tv series, recorded on the same disk on which files from the same series played successfully in the past.

I used the same burning software in both cases. In the latter case, the MacBook froze completely and would not respond to any keyboard commands (is there a cntrl+alt+delete for Mack?). there was a small circle rotating but otherwise the screen was blank. Eventually I simply closed the cover with power light still on and gave up.

Any ideas as to what was going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD-RW not read by Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD-RW not read by Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Command + Option + Esc
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 23, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD-RW not read by Mac

functions similar to Ctrl + Alt + Del.
It will bring up a "Force Quit" dialog box showing the applications currently running and which one is stuck.
The Finder will always be in there but you do not, normally, tell the Finder to quite. If you have to, then a restart would be in order following that.
<div>
You did not mention what model of Mac laptop you were using or what version of OS X it was running. All useful information.
You also did not mention the burning software used to produce the disks.

Collapse -
mac problem
by padyboy / October 23, 2011 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Command + Option + Esc

Thank you for the info.

My brother intends to use this computer when he visits at Xmas. His instructions were "Don't Mess With It!!!". Consequently, I am reluctant to do anything other than power on and insert/remove a dvd disk. Also, I do not have the user's manual.

I will forward the information you mentioned shortly.

Thanx again for the instructions

Pat

Collapse -
there is no user manual
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 24, 2011 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: mac problem

and you can get all the machine information by going to the Apple menu (top left of screen) and choosing About this Mac.
The window that opens will show the version of OS X you are running and the "more info' button will display all sorts of information about the computer.

Software burning software of choice for the Mac is Toast.

P

Collapse -
Toast
by padyboy / October 24, 2011 10:44 AM PDT

Dear Mr. Mac,

I am burning to Win 7. Can I download a free version of Toast software for my PC?

Collapse -
When I make recorded media for my Apple friends I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2011 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Toast
Collapse -
See Bob's reply but the answer to your question
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 24, 2011 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Toast

about Toast is No.

Collapse -
info on mac
by padyboy / October 25, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

I have found the following info:
-Mac OS X v 10.6.4
-Macbook 2.1
-2GHz Dual Core processor
-2 GB RAM
-Software was Sothink movie DVD Maker 3.7, Build 341. Free software download; same as used before for dvrl that worked.

Have allowed battery to drain completely thus shutting unit off. Connected to ac power, allowed to charge fully, powered on. Attempted to eject disk-same result as before.

pad

Collapse -
You have a disk ejection problem?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 25, 2011 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: info on mac

this was not mentioned before.

Collapse -
disk ejection
by padyboy / October 26, 2011 2:11 AM PDT

By restarting and repeatedly pushing the 'eject' button, the disk appeared this time. Before when this was attempted, system locked up when same attempt to eject was attempted.

Problem still exists as to why this this Mac will not play DVD-RLs.

I will attempt to access the manual online, provided I can wade through the Apple commercial adverts.

Collapse -
(NT) What is this "RL"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: disk ejection
Collapse -
solution
by padyboy / November 18, 2011 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: disk ejection

PROBLEM SOLVED:
This MacIntosh computer cannot handle DVD-RWs created on Windows 7.
I have given up, and must invest in a few dozen DVD-Rs, to be chucked after viewing.

Collapse -
grats
by padyboy / November 21, 2011 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: solution

I was remiss in failing to thank all those who responded to my difficulty. Perhaps this iMac needs service.

Or perhaps it is the "ghost in the machine" with no solution. I had such a problem recently with a Lacie backup drive; Lacie insisted it was compatible with Win 7, while MS website claimed it was incompatible. Lacie refused to discuss MS claim. I gave up on the "ghost" eventually.

Again, extreme thanx to all who participated.

Collapse -
(NT) Good of you to come back, thanks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 22, 2011 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: grats
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.