TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD-RW DVD-VR mode support

by ctoohey / February 9, 2004 2:41 AM PST

I have a Sony DVD camcorder (DCR-DVD300). My preferred mode of operation is to maximize the in-camera editing features, which means recording to DVD-RW discs in DVD-VR mode (as opposed to DVD-Video mode).

My question is, is VR mode commonly supported by today's DVD players ? It does not seem to be mentioned at all in a DVD player's specs, even if it is supported. Like it is some vague notion or something.

Does anyone know how to definitively tell if a DVD player can play back DVD-VR mode discs ?

And does anyone know if there is a trend toward supporting DVD-VR mode in players, or whether this is only beneficial to companies like Sony that have recording devices that record in DVD-VR mode ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD-RW DVD-VR mode support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD-RW DVD-VR mode support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) DVD-VR is proprietary. Best of luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2004 2:58 AM PST

Collapse -
VR mode question
by muckem09 / October 18, 2008 11:01 AM PDT

I noticed your question about VR mode and I, too, have been trying to track down this same information with relatively little luck...I am very new to the whole camcording thing and I was wondering if you could maybe answer a question that pertains to your question...Since I do not know which DVD players are compatible with VR mode or if there are any, but since I still would like to record in VR mode, I was wondering what my options are for being able to still view my video recordings...Are you able to transfer recordings done on DVD-RW discs in VR mode to regular blank DVDs? I am asking this because I cannot find a whole lot of information period on transferring...So i am wondering if, because VR mode is not compatible with most DVD players, is it also incompatible with being able to transfer your recordings done in this mode to blank DVDs...Any information or help you could give me on this subject would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Collapse -
It's been a few years and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2008 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: VR mode question

This issue has improved only slightly. Be sure when posting to note the make, model of the camcorder.

In closing try the demos at Ulead.com and see if they now support your media.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.