PC Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD-ROM detected as CDROM by Windows XP!!! :-s

by isf_ / February 18, 2005 5:13 AM PST

hi guyz....i have a DVDROM,but its being detected as a CDROM by windows XP ,and it dosent play DVD's,juz behaves as a normal CDROM,i.e reads only cd's! i changed my mother board a month back coz my old one wuz faulty,do u guyz think the problem is becoz of the new motherboard ?? please help me out guyz!!

My PC Config :
DVD-ROM : Aopen 16XDVD-ROM/AMH
Processor : P4 2 Ghz.
Motherboard : Intel Desktop Board D845GVSR
40 GB HD
256DDR RAM

thanks for your time!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD-ROM detected as CDROM by Windows XP!!! :-s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD-ROM detected as CDROM by Windows XP!!! :-s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need some....
by Michael Geist / February 18, 2005 7:16 AM PST

software (PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc...)to tell Windows this is a DVD you are playing.

Collapse -
thats not he problem dude!
by isf_ / February 18, 2005 7:01 PM PST
In reply to: You need some....

hey...thnx for replying.but i already have all those software's installed on my pc.so that is'nt the problem.problem is windows shows it as a dvd-rom,but recognises it as a cd-rom!!!:-s..i know this is damn weird...n its really troubling me.any more suggestions ppl ?

Collapse -
My recipe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 8:22 PM PST

And what I use now.

1. All CD/DVD devices at their latest firmware.
2. Set to Cable Select.
3. The shiny spiffy 80 Conductor IDE cable is used.

Your choice, but I never see your issue.

Bob

Collapse -
And/or. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 18, 2005 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: My recipe.

Make sure the new optical drive is on it's own controller, set for master, on the end of the cable.

Collapse -
damn...dosent work!!
by isf_ / February 18, 2005 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: And/or. . .

thnx 4 replying guyz!....but none of the above solutions work!!!:-(...do u think it could be hardware problem ??

Collapse -
Or you need to boot SAFE MODE, remove such from...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: damn...dosent work!!

The device manager and let Windows redetect them.

Best of luck, and remember that if it works as a DVD player then you may be trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

Bob

Collapse -
not workin bro!
by isf_ / February 20, 2005 4:08 AM PST

hi...thnx 4 replying.i've tried tht one as well,still cant read dvds.btw,its not a problem of playing dvd's as i had mentioned earlier,i cant read even the files on the dvd,i got a chance 2day 2 check with another pc,and it works fine on tht one!!!!...what am i doing wrong ??!!!

Collapse -
read dvd
by Stan Chambers / February 20, 2005 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: not workin bro!

What exactly do you mean when you said "i cant read even the files on the dvd"?
Do you simply want to see what files are on the disk?

Collapse -
Can't read DVD, ME TOO
by Gramps23 / February 20, 2005 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: read dvd

I have followed this thread with interest and have tried all the suggestions.
My NU dvd RW will not recognise a dvd. I get a "no media" notice, or a "no disk in drive"

I might add it worked great before SP 2.

Sumpn aint rite !!

Collapse -
Can't read DVD, ME TOO
by Stan Chambers / February 20, 2005 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Can't read DVD, ME TOO

Gramps23, sounds as if your problem is different than this. I would suggest that you post this in PC Hardware or WinXP forum. More will see it if you create a new post.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
Your words are too few.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2005 8:55 AM PST

DVDs of the movie kind are not supposed to be "read". Some get hung up on this oddity.

Bob

Collapse -
i give up!
by isf_ / February 25, 2005 7:57 PM PST

guyz thanx for ur help.....but i havent beem able to get my dvd-rom 2 work.tried alsmot everything i could do with it,still it dosent budge.....
i juz wanna know one thing...the mother-board detects the dvd-rom,but i'm not able to play dvd's on it,so whats worrying me is if i'm finally able 2 save enough money 2 buy a new dvd-writer and it dosent work.i juz want to know if therez a possibility tht something could be wrong with the motherboard ? i have an INTEL DESKTOP D845GVSR..

Collapse -
I just so happen to have an 845 based board.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: i give up!

Works fine.

Sadly your posts omit all the needed information. You write in your last post "i'm not able to play dvd's" but not a word about the software used or any error message.

I don't see how you can be helped as long as you leave out the details.

Bob

Collapse -
i'm sorry if i had'nt mentioned
by isf_ / February 26, 2005 12:21 AM PST

hi...i hav win dvd installed as well as power dvd and windows media player 10.but as i said earlier the pc dosent detect a dvd-rom in the disc...by the way does a dvd-rom need a 80 conductor ide cable or a 40 conductor.

Collapse -
80 on primary and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 6:11 AM PST

40 conductor is fine for most if not all CD/DVD drives.

It's technically inaccurate that the PC should detect a video DVDROM in the drive.. These things are COPY PROTECTED and don't play by the normal rules.

I'm sorry but your posts are just too light in details. While you not power dvd, you didn't note the version. And while you note WMP 10, that's not a DVD player until you install some DVD player software and even then is usually not a viable DVD player.

I wish you the best of luck, but with your penchant for no details I bet you end up at some repair shop.

bob

Collapse -
It is not a big problem
by Kalana / February 21, 2005 1:28 AM PST

I also have this problem,by restarting the computer it can be slove

Collapse -
do you have XP SP2 installed?
by jonah jones / February 21, 2005 3:01 AM PST

if so, jump on the wagon and join those who have lost hardware to sp2 Sad

Collapse -
by Ralphdb / February 26, 2005 8:45 AM PST

I don't remember Reading where you installed the Drivers for the DVD-RW. if it is a DVD+ and you are using - DVD's then it is not compatible..you have given us not information about what you are doing. I have both CD-RW and a DVD+-RW and they had no problems with SP-2. So Rule that out.. you can't use power DVD or other programs to use as drivers. you must use the ones for the DVD RW that you have.. you should have the disc that come with the Writer. if not go to the WEB site for the Writer you have and download the driver. XP or other programs only load a basic CD driver...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?