Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

dvd & regular cable on lcd tv

by bdyer / September 28, 2007 12:13 PM PDT

I am planning on buying a new tv. I am planning on going with an lcd 46-50". I was wondering how dvds & to some extent how vhs tapes as wellas regular non hd channels will look. Is there a reason not to buy a 1080p. I know thats the future will all cable or satellite channels look good on these sets.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dvd & regular cable on lcd tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dvd & regular cable on lcd tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some feedback
by Dan Filice / September 28, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

First, from my experience, VHS looks absolutely the worst on a big-screen TV. I think VHS is only 240 or 260 lines of resolution, which looks terrible. For DVDs, from my experience, they look great on my 50". Make sure you either connect your DVD player by component or HDMI, and set your DVD player to "Progressive-Out" and that will give you the best that a standard DVD can give. One option is that you can buy an upconverting DVD player, which upconverts to 1080i. For regular non-HD channels, it depends on how you are receiving these. Roof antenna? Cable or satellite box? If the latter, don't use anything less than component connections. Then, the rest depends on how good your TV handles the standard-def signal. Some TVs are much better than others. If you can, spend the extra $10 per month and get an HD cable or satellite box, then you will receive digital TV signals and the HD cable box will send everything through at 1080i. Yes, 1080p is the "future", but it's not in the cards for broadcast TV any time soon. For 1080p, you need to use PS3, XBOX or high-def DVDs.

Collapse -
reply to Dan Filice
by bdyer / September 28, 2007 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Some feedback

Thanks, We currently have cable and have a Dvr ( Moxi ) box. We will always have cable or satelite. I will need to buy a new dvd player anyway since ours quit working after lighting ran in on it.I just have a few old vhs tapes anyway, so that's not that big a deal mainly some home videos of my son growing up and some older movies not on dvd.My biggest concern was regular channels that are not hd yet. But, I guess if its cable then they will be okay. So, your advice would be to get 1080p? Do you have any preference as to what format lcd , plasma ,or projection. I am leaning towards a 46" lcd .

Collapse -
What's your budget?
by Dan Filice / September 29, 2007 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to Dan Filice

There are many fine 46" TVs in both Plasma and LCD. My personal preference is the Sony 1080p 120mgz display (46" XBR). Samsung has a similar TV, so does Sharp Aquos.

Collapse -
Reply to
by bdyer / September 29, 2007 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: What's your budget?

I would like to keep it as close to $2000.00 for everything if possible.I could go a little more if needed. Like I said I will also have to get a new Dvd player.Also A stand so it will probably be over that amount.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!