TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD Recorder That Deinterlaces and Upconverts signal

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a DVD recorder that deinterlaces and upconverts the signal from my satellite box of 480i to 480p or 720p through HDMI. My picture from my Dish STB is lousy. I do not want to give DishNetwork anymore money by subscribing to their HD package and HD receiver. I know I can't reproduce a HD picture but I just want to have a clean clear picture delivered to my HDTV.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Recorder That Deinterlaces and Upconverts signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Recorder That Deinterlaces and Upconverts signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Any upconverting DVD with HDMI should do this. John

In reply to: DVD Recorder That Deinterlaces and Upconverts signal

Collapse -
I'm not sure a DVDR will fix your problem

In reply to: DVD Recorder That Deinterlaces and Upconverts signal

"My picture from my Dish STB is lousy."

Can you describe this in more detail? If the image is noisy or something, a DVDR is still going to record the "lousy" signal; when you play it back, it'll just upconvert a lousy signal.

The shock of viewing standard-def material on an HDTV is very common, but I'm wondering if the Dish signal isn't even up to par. Have you complained to Dish about the service you're receiving? Does it look back on an old tv as well?

Additionally, I don't think passing a video feed through a DVDR will upconvert the live signal. I think it'll only upconvert playback. I could be wrong, though; I don't have one.

There was an article on CNET about new DVDRs at the CES in Las Vegas that also have built-in ATSC tuners to pull in HDTV off the air for free. I'm planning on getting one. I believe they range from $200-$350.

Collapse -
"My picture from my Dish STB is lousy."

In reply to: I'm not sure a DVDR will fix your problem

I have the Dish dvr522 receiver. My televison is the Sony KDP57-ws655. This is a high def tv with an HDMI port. I also have a Winegard antenna attached to my rooftop. When viewing OTA broadcast the picture is flawless. While viewing the satellite signal through my STB the picture is lousy. The STB only has composite out and S-Video out. I have the S-Video connection to my television. My hopes were to use the DVDR only for its upconverting feature. I wanted to deinterlace and upconvert the 480i signal to 480p, 720p or 1080i. It may seem crazy to buy a DVDR to use just for its scaler, but that seems to be my greatest need. I bought the Samsung the CNET reviewed and it did an upconversion but not as much as I wanted. CNET's "con" advice was that the machine's upconversion was not as good as the competition but they didn't list which one was better. I've written the editor but I've gotten no response back. I know once the upconversion takes place it will not look as good as a High Definition signal but if it will eliminate that ridgedly look that will be god enough for me. My signal strength from Dish is excellent. I just happen to live in a good area for signal strenghth. all of my non-hdtv's pictures look great.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.