TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD recorder recommendations

by Kelray / November 19, 2006 4:26 AM PST

I hope I am writing this to the correct forum. I am interested in purchasing a DVD recorder for my house. {I am not looking for one for my computer} the problem is, I have no idea what I should be looking for. I would like to be able to record shows off a live television and be able to put more than one show on a DVD. I don't know if you can do this with all DVD recorders, but I would like to be able to select which show I want to watch at a later date. I hope you understand what I am talking about. Any other recommendations you could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD recorder recommendations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD recorder recommendations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is your budget?
by jcrobso / November 19, 2006 11:52 PM PST

There are 3 basic categories.
1. DVD recorder can work like VHS, has tuner and is programble. lowest cost. about $100
2. VHS/DVD combo can record on both, copy VHS to DVD and DVD to VHS. $120~$250
3. DVD/Hard drive. Record to hard drive, then burn to DVD. $300+
From you your post option 3 would be the best option. John

Collapse -
Perfect answer
by HTHMAN / November 20, 2006 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: What is your budget?

In addition, if you want to put multiple shows on a DVD, the quality drops off pretty severely after the 3 hour mode on most recorders. Two hours is really your optimal time. A hard drive unit would be best for what you want to do.

Collapse -
selecting show
by Kelray / November 21, 2006 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: Perfect answer

so with any of the recorders out there I would be able to record two different one-hour shows and be able to select which one I want to watch and a later time? I don't want to have to fast-forward through the first show just to get to the second one. If I was to use dual layer DVDs I would be able to put four hours on a DVD without a problem correct?

Collapse -
Exactly
by HTHMAN / November 21, 2006 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: selecting show

Every time you start a new recording, the recorder will create a new title. Depending on the recorder you choose, those titles will appear as thumbnails or menu items. Just select the one you want to view. Most recorders also will automatically create chapters within each title. Usually you can choose the length of say 5 or 10 minutes. This lets you skip back and forth by that interval. The recorder will also have a fast forward or reverse like a VCR and mayce a commercial skip or advance feature. Yes, a dual layer would give you 4 hours of good quality, but at a lot higher price than a single layer disk. Not all recorders will record to a dual layer. Check the specs and check the reviews.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.