TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD Recorder hook up HELP!?!?!?!

by hlc216 / February 1, 2006 9:42 PM PST

I bought a Panasonic DMR-ES20S DVD Recorder and I am pulling out the few hairs I have left on my head. (It is not a pretty sight)

What I want to do is simple. I have DISH Network so my singnal comes in through that dish box, into the DVD Recorder and out throught the TV.

Here is the problem. The TV only receives the Dish signal if the DVD Recorder is on. If it off there is no signal. This does not seem to make sense to me. Before when I had the VCR, it didn't matter if the VCR was on or off.

The cables out of the Dish box to the DVD Recorder are composite, red, white and yellow with a S-Cable. The connection to the TV are component red, blue, green with red and white audio. I have also tried just the composite from the DVD recroder to the Tv and still have the same problems.

Can someone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Recorder hook up HELP!?!?!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Recorder hook up HELP!?!?!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pass through. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 1, 2006 9:54 PM PST

using coax is transparent to the VCR. In other words the RF signal will pass through the VCR if it is turned off. Not so with composite (R-W-Y). The device has to be turned on. It'll be the same way with a VCR if you use the composite inputs. Component connections (R-G-B, Y-pB-pR)) are the same. The device must be turned on to pass the signal.

Wayne

Quis mos non iuguolo vos planto vos validus.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
That's a pain.
by hlc216 / February 1, 2006 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: Pass through. . .

Thanks Wayne.

Its was driving me crazy. But to enjoy a higher quality signal and be able to record without messing with an A/B box I always have to keep my DVD REcorder on. My wife and kids (three under the age of 6) will not be happy if the DVD gets turned off by accident.

I have to give this matter more thought to try and simplify the procedure. My family (including my inlaws when they are over babysitting) has very little patience for technology. If they have to turn on more than one thing and it does not work right away they are lost.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Does the TV have A/V out?
by Coryphaeus / February 2, 2006 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: That's a pain.

If so you can connect the DVD recorder to the TV out jacks. You can record what you are watching. The TV will be connected to the Dish receiver in the normal fashion. The DVD recorder outputs can then be connected to another set of TV inputs to watch what was recorded or to watch a DVD movie. Kind of a circle, but it'll work.

Dish out -> TV in.
TV out -> DVD in.
DVD out -> TV in.

Collapse -
Yes it Does!
by hlc216 / February 2, 2006 1:23 AM PST

I would consider it more of a spiral than a circle...lol

I came up with the same diagram after much hair pulling reflection....Thank you very much!

Collapse -
I tried it
by wije2980 / March 31, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

I tried this connection with my Samsung DVD-R135, and the audio worked, but the video did not. I found that to be strange. Do I have to hook up any additional cables to the DVD? May be, one of you guys can help me out here.

I am desperate. I am trying to hook up my HDTV, Satellite Box (directv), and DVD recorder without comprimising my picture quality.

Please HELP!!!

Collapse -
DVD Recorder hook up HELP!?!?!?!
by jcrobso / February 2, 2006 12:57 AM PST

If it goes through the DVD recorder it will have to be on as Wayne said.
What dish reciver do you have?? You are using component from the DVD to your TV, I assume you have a HDTV.
I send the s-video from my dish to the TV,
composit from the Dish to my DVD recorder, DVD recorder to the TV is component. This way I can watch dish and do have to the DVD recorder on. If I want to watch DVDs I just switch the TV input. John

Collapse -
TV inputs
by HTHMAN / February 2, 2006 10:18 AM PST

Don't you have more than one set on inputs from your TV? Since you can not record in HD or 5.1 sound on current recorders, hook the s-video and Red and White audio to your recorder. You will want component or better out of the DVD recorder to the TV so you can use progressive scan. Ditto with the TV, use component or DVI or HDMI to whatever HD outputs you have on the TV. If you have an OTA antenna, hook it to the DVD recorder coax input first, then pass thru to the Dish antenna input. You will be able to record OTA signals on regular channels and Dish programming thu your Line-In input. You can use your TV inputs to select Dish or DVD. You will not be able to watch one Dish program and record another unless you have 2 tuners.

Collapse -
DVD Hook Help Reply
by afengineer / February 2, 2006 2:47 PM PST

I've got the EMR-30, which is basically the same. I've had mine now for over three years. I also have Dish. I have the dual receiver 322 which has TV1 & TV2 rca/S-video jacks on the rear. This is how I have mine set-up & has been this way since purchase:
1. Dish receiver: TV2 output to AV2 on dmr-30.
2. Dish reciever: TV1 output to AV! on my JVC TV.
3. DMR-30: AV Output1 to JVC AV2.
4. Additional dvd player: Connected to AV2 of the DMR-30.

I record from the TV2 of the Dish receiver to the dmr-30 AV2 & still watch a different channel on my JVC AV1. With this set up, I can switch back & forth & monitor what I'm recording. I can also record from the additional dvd to the DMR-30 or watch the additional dvd while recording from the tv.
I can also connect my video camera to the front av connection on the dmr-30. I used monster cables for all the connections to ensure a good quaily signal.

I purchased my dmr-30 to record some of my old vcr tapes, but with the copy protection, I could hardly record any of them. I use it basically to record movies from my camera & to create picture dvd's. It took awhile to hook everytihng up & get it right, alot of switch cables back & forth. Seems like alot of techical stuff, but this et-up really works for me. Hope this was a little help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.