Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD Recorder

by jeffrey p / May 26, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

Just purchased a 47" Phillips HD TV. I don't yet have an HD DISH box, so I'm running it off the regular box. It's connected to the tv through RCA cables (into AV2).

The DVD recorder is located bottom left of the TV and has an RF connector going in (from the DISH box) and is then connected to the TV through RCA cables for audio and S video for video. When I turn it on the TV area, there's tons of snow across the picture. DVDs play fine, just tons of snow when using (i.e., recording from TV).

Any thoughts on what's going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Recorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Recorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Recorder

I can't see where the TV input on the DVDR is connected.

Collapse -
Connections
by jeffrey p / May 26, 2008 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be proper.

From the DISH box out into the DVD recorder IN with a RF cable. Out of the DVD recorder to the TV (AV1) with audio RCA cables, Svideo for video.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Test that RF output to another TV
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Connections

Channel 3?

Collapse -
RF to other TV
by jeffrey p / May 26, 2008 5:13 AM PDT

Yes. When we had the old tv, a 52" we had the same basic hookup with the out from the recorder going into the TV. The picture on ch 3 wasn't the best, neither was it on the recorder, although it wasn't as bad on the recorder as it is now.

Collapse -
(NT) Time to fix that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: RF to other TV
Collapse -
time to fix that
by jeffrey p / May 26, 2008 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Time to fix that.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what the above means, and there was nothing other than that. "Time to fix that" means? How or what am I to fix?

Thanks.

Collapse -
You gave the clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: time to fix that

"The picture on ch 3 wasn't the best, neither was it on the recorder, "

Now it's time to fix, replace what is making that not the best.

Collapse -
the clue
by jeffrey p / May 26, 2008 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: You gave the clue.

replace the cable?

Collapse -
(NT) Good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: the clue
Collapse -
Try
by HTHMAN / May 28, 2008 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Recorder

Try plugging your RCA cables from the sat box to the recorder. If that works, the problem is your RF cable. If the box and DVD have s-video inputs and outputs, use them for better video. RF is your lowest quality option.

I would also suggest that you hook up your DVD to the TV with Component cables for a much better picture and the capability of progressive scan on your DVDs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!