PC Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD readers and DVD+R's

by johnnyboy4ever / October 23, 2003 10:59 AM PDT

Yeah, so I had this brilliant idea, that I could buy some DVD+R cds, give them to my friend, have him burn the CD's with data, give them back to me, and my harddrive would be empty, and i would have all these nice DVD's with info on them...
APPARENTLY my drive sucks... As far as i can tell, no DVD-roms can read DVD+Rs, and i have one of the only DVD-roms that cant even read DVD-Rs. (Drive is a MT1316B BDV212B ver 0.36)
TWO QUESTIONS:
#1-Could updating the firmware possibly fix this? Can anything fix this?
#2-Does anyone know of a really really really cheap drive that can read DVD+Rs?

HELP ME! Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD readers and DVD+R's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD readers and DVD+R's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:DVD readers and DVD+R's. FOUR posts? Should all be read?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2003 11:39 AM PDT

Take a moment to consider you posted FOUR times. It detracts from the discussion as I wonder why you did that or that some information is in the other posts that may reveal what the issue is.

But let me comment about the DVD+R that were made for you. I could make some DVD+R that you couldn't read without matching software. Examples abound, but what's important is that the person that makes the DATA DVD do so in a neutral format and that the session be

Collapse -
FOUR posts? Not my fault
by johnnyboy4ever / October 23, 2003 5:09 PM PDT

I only clicked

Collapse -
My post was truncated too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2003 9:24 PM PDT

The session on the DVD/CD should be closed as well to assure best compatibility. I will NOT debate this since that would be a debate.

The forum has flaws that will make communication difficult and I will have to not supply any web link until the forum works again. Instead I will write that YOU will have to use www google com and will supply you hints on how to use the search.

You did search for a firmware update?

If not, why not?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:DVD readers and DVD+R's
by JMarchi / October 23, 2003 11:38 PM PDT

I have found that DVD-R disks work in most DVD readers.

They Pioneer A06/106 DVD drive which supports both + and - formats may be something you want to buy, it sells for $149 or less at some places and can burn either format.

Collapse -
Re:Re:DVD readers and DVD+R's
by johnnyboy4ever / October 24, 2003 3:02 AM PDT

I need a DVD-rom, not a DVD-player for a tv... My TV is a 9

Collapse -
Truncating posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2003 5:09 AM PDT

This forum software is eating everyone's words.

Bob

Collapse -
Haha, so i just found out
by johnnyboy4ever / October 24, 2003 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Truncating posts.

Yeah, I replied to the other string of posts that I somehow started... but it never showed up... go figure. I dunno. Thats why I said I should just give up...

However, on a positive note, my tiny lil dvd player will read DVD+Rs, or at least the ones I stuck in there, i guess im gonna go with that, but i still got 8 useless DVDs thanks to my archaic DVD-rom drive...

Anyone wanna buy 8 DVDs full of anime avis? Happy

Collapse -
"Anyone wanna buy 8 DVDs full of anime avis?"
by ahtoi / February 24, 2010 7:38 AM PST

I wonder; Could this be a format/codec issue?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:DVD readers and DVD+R's
by JMarchi / October 25, 2003 12:07 AM PDT

The Pioneer I mentioned is for your computer and can burn both + and minus, so it can read anything you receive as well.

Collapse -
Toshiba laptops, web page versus retail purchases
by EdRoberts / February 24, 2010 4:49 AM PST

When a Toshiba laptop on their web site has identical or nearly identical specs as one sold at retail, what are advantages/disadvantages of retail versus web page purchase?

Collapse -
Toshiba Laptop
by manmur / February 24, 2010 5:15 AM PST

EdRoberts

I have a Retail brought Toshiba laptop. So far I have no issues with it. I did have to remove the Norton 360 Trial For my own security programs.

On the Toshiba website you can customize a laptop. The retail, it is more of a what you see is what you get.

As for retail, You can get the laptop now. Web purchase you may have to want for a few days.

If you were looking at the same laptop with the same specs at both places. Then there are no difference between them. You just get the retail home faster then the Web purchase.

Manmur

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.