PC Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD +R DL read issues

by skm7274 / January 14, 2009 11:33 AM PST

Because of file size on wedding video that I need to burn to DVD, I had a Pioneer DL DVD drive installed. I finally got the DVD burned, but now cannot play it in my computer, my laptop, my wife's computer, nor 2 tv sets w/DVD players. I get either a "disc error" message, or a "not formatted correct" message, or an "incorrect disc" message.

I am not a high tech person, so please help if you can.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD +R DL read issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD +R DL read issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't tell what software made this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: DVD +R DL read issues

There is an old issue with Nero and "layer break" which my reply to that is "use something else next time."

Collapse -
Let's hope you have Pro 4.5d
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 12:34 AM PST
Collapse -
DVD +R DL read issues
by skm7274 / January 15, 2009 12:51 AM PST

Yes it is 4.5d. I just verified by trying to download the "d" upgrade.

Collapse -
Ok, try the other way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 12:56 AM PST

Make the .ISO image then burn it with IMGBURN.

Collapse -
DVD +R DL read issues
by skm7274 / January 15, 2009 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Ok, try the other way.

You have been a great help, but still issues. I have downloaded IMGBURN. If you don't mind, could you list out a proper workflow? I have taken the files from my camera and used Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 to edit. From there I have saved the files to my hard drive. That is in .vt format if I recall correctly. I do not see anyway to put it into .iso going to the harddrive. However, I do see how to do it going to a DVD. If I am correct, I will take the hardrive files into DVD Architect and put the files into .iso as they are prepared. Then I would use IMGBURN to actually burn the video. Is this anywhere near correct.

Sorry to take so much of your time, but what was relatively easy on a 4.7gb DVD is a nightmare on DL DVDs.

Collapse -
could you list out a proper workflow?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 12:06 AM PST

For me that's easy. I use my dvd creation software but instead of letting it record the dvd-dl I set it's options to write out an .ISO file of the intended size (around 8 540 000 000 bytes and that is 7.95 computer GB.)

With the image creation done I can use IMGBURN to make the recording.
Bob

Collapse -
DVD/DL won't read
by Phil Crase / January 14, 2009 11:42 PM PST

What OS and how (what software) did you use and from what location did you burn it?

Collapse -
DVD +R DL read issues
by skm7274 / January 15, 2009 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: DVD/DL won't read

1. I am using Windows XP Pro.

2. Using Sony DVD Architect PRO 4.5. (I have had no issues burning to a standard DVD. Issues are with Verbatim DVD+R DL.)

3. Location? Files are on my hard drive and burning to my D drive, the new DL drive.

Thanks for your help!!

Collapse -
File location
by Phil Crase / January 15, 2009 11:49 PM PST

By location I meant DOCUMENTS files, MY DOCS, MY PICS, etc. That would be where I would normally try to burn from, send the item(s) there, do a right click on folder and send to, assuming that is what you have done.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!