Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD: Progressive Scan vs. Progressive output?

by coco / May 2, 2004 2:01 AM PDT

Buying my first DVD. My TV is a Philips-30" Widescreen HD-Ready Flat-Tube TV with Active Control-30PW850H. 2 q's:
1. I'm told i want PROGRESSIVE SCAN in order to get the best picture from my DVD player. Is there a difference between Progressive Scan and Progressive output?
2. I think i want a VHS/DVD combo. Any suggestions? The SONY SLV-D300P DVD looked cool, but the guy at Best Buy told me it keeps getting returned.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re:DVD: Progressive Scan vs. Progressive output?
by Art / May 2, 2004 2:30 AM PDT

I would think If you have a player with progressive scan but no progressive output that would defeat the purpose of the thing.

Unless you are having space problem, I would rather go with separate vcr and dvd player instead. Of course this is just my preference only.

Collapse -
Just me guessing. Sony had an issue with recorded DVD media...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

When we first started making recorded DVDs, Sony DVD players were the worst at accepting said disks. We tried DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W and many of the Sony models would not play such.

The non-authoritive answer was that Sony was in a quandry if recorded DVD was a good thing or not. Remember that Sony has its hand in a media empire as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe not a complete answer but a suggestion...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / May 2, 2004 7:01 PM PDT

I would definitely go for separated units. Personally I got this unit two or three years ago and it has worked as a Swiss watch! And we have seen many, many movies! And when I say many, I mean many! Picture is awesome, sound is fabulous (well, we happen to have quite good speakers though) and I have no complaints at all about this. Maybe the remote is a little hard to handle. At least the joy stick could be a PITA. But I strongly recommend it although it has a few years on the market now. There may be better stuff out now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!