Mac OS forum

General discussion

DVD Problem update

by jennywren1420 / May 13, 2006 4:10 AM PDT

Since mrmacfixit was good enough to give me his time and wisdom regarding my inability to play DVDs on my PowerBook G3, I took his advice and did a clean reinstall of the system sofware for OS 9.0.4 from the Install disk that came with my computer.

To make sure that nothing interfered with the pristine quality of what was in the new System Folder, I didn't put anything else in it. I put a DVD into the DVD drive (yes, it is one, and yes, it does show up in the Profiler). The DVD disk showed up on the screen, but I got a message saying that AppleDVDPlayer could not be opened, owing to something called "DVDVideoGadgetDriveISDVDDrive" being missing--as indeed it seems to be. I haven't the faintest idea what that is, nor what I can do about it. Any ideas?

By the way, my G4 desktop, running 9.2.2 (as the laptop was doing before I tried running DVDs) and version 2.4 of the DVD software, shows DVDs just fine. Maybe I should just reinstall system updates to 9.2.2 on the PowerBook, transfer over what I need from Previous System Folder and forget about running DVDs on the Powerbook. The only other thing I can think of is to download fresh copies (on the PowerBook) of the system updates, which might make the dear little thing feel comfier. I don't remember which computer I was using when I downloaded the updates I have, but maybe they were on the G4, and my PowerBook doesn't like them.

Not that I'm going to do it anytime soon, if I do it at all. So rest easy, everyone. This is just a report and thanks for your help. You don't have to do anything more--unless, that is, you know something about the mysterious "DVDVideoGadget. . ." file that the PB was asking for and want to tell me about it. No problem if you don't, though.

Thanks again. You've all been very patient, and especially, those (including the aforesaid "P") who tried to solve my problem.

Jenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Problem update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Problem update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a good scheme.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Problem update

How about this.
Install the 2.4 version of the DVD player onto the PB and see what happens. It can't get worse. Can it?

I have a feeling that the DVDVideoGadgetDriveISDVDDrive file is kind of a question in Pigeon English. Like: "The DVD video Gadget drive thing, is it a DVD drive?"
Normally the answer would be "Yes"

Anyway, 2.4 and if no luck, update the OS, using the PB Software updater Control panel, back up to 9.2.2

Oh, and thanks for the thanks. Appreciated

P

Collapse -
Much obliged!
by jennywren1420 / May 13, 2006 6:21 AM PDT

Another vote of thanks for the suggestion about my balky PB and the probable explanation of the odd error message. I suspected it might be something of that kind.

Regarding my thanks for your moderatorship (and Bob's, Lee's and others'), they are well deserved. When I was moderating my group, I only got called a fascist, every now and then, by the occasional lunatic member (because I asked them, privately, to observe some forum rules about behavior to other members or--twice--closed a very disagreeable thread); I didn't have to be some kind of genius, into the bargain.

When I get a chance to do what you suggested, I'll come back and tell everyone whether it worked. This may be someone else's problem, too. (Otherwise, apologies to all you good people for bearing with me in my hour--well, several hours--of need.)

Best, as always,

Jenny

Collapse -
You are welcome, now.....
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Much obliged!

when is OS X going to make an appearance on your machine? Happy

P

Collapse -
Don't hold your breath!
by jennywren1420 / May 23, 2006 6:51 AM PDT

Dear P and others who wonder how I can live and breathe in the twenty-first century with software from the twentieth:

It may happen one day, but other priorities keep intervening. Besides everything else, all my software is made for OS 9 or below. To make any kind of use of OS X, I'd need to get a bunch of compatible software,and now that Apple has brought out "Intel-inside" Macs, it seems a little foolish to invest in software made for older models, when they may not even be available when I get my next computer. It's my understanding that although an Intel-inside Mac could use the OS X software made for computers like mine, software (including all my programs) made specially for Apple with Intel would work much better.

I may change my mind, but as I said, it's not (I know you are shocked) my first concern, being as how I am in the famous "sandwich generation" between two others, not to speak of having a freelance business of my own to attend to.

I thank you for all your kind remarks, interest and practical help. If there is still anything of interest--a solution, perhaps--regarding my laptop's quirky DVD drive and software, I shall certainly let you know. (Since I reinstalled OS 9.2, it's back to square one, with no DVD disc showing up.) For now, that's on a back burner, too.

Thanks again,

Jenny

Collapse -
You have it
by russ666 / May 13, 2006 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Much obliged!

You have the knack! (Don't be humble, you know you do.) Please continue to teach and lead by example. i have started a new thread inspired in part by you. Let us all try to teach the primitives how to behave in a civilized society. Who knows maybe it can lead to world peace.
russ

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6126-0.html?forumID=10&threadID=176208

Collapse -
Civil discourse
by jennywren1420 / May 23, 2006 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: You have it

I'm with you, Russ. Never could see the sense in behaving otherwise. I shall check out your new thread but must find it first. I'll take a look right now.

Jenny

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.