Windows Vista forum

General discussion

DVD player stopped working

by VistaVictim / January 1, 2010 4:43 AM PST

I'm on Vista, with latest updates. Up until about 6 months ago my DVD player worked fine. Now it doesn't recognise my DVDs and keeps asking me to insert a DVD when I've already inserted one.

OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

I have both WMP and Realplayer installed. I have DivX Player. I had but then removed Corel WinDVD 9.

On Hardware Properties, it says the DVD device is working properly.

I'm using a feeble laptop and am occupying about 75% of my 87.7 GB hard drive. I have 2GB RAM and a 32-bit operating system. I have a 1.66 GHz Intel Core 2CPU. Generally, the whole thing is ageing - the battery doesn't work, two keys have fallen off and the right mouse button on the computer doesn't work! So I'm ready to buy a new one. But I'd like to know if this DVD issue is software or hardware.

Am thinking that Corel WinDVD uninstall may have messed things up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD player stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD player stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's try the usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 4:50 AM PST

1. Clean the DVD lens (do not do this on BR drives!)
2. Do this -> http://www.pchell.com/hardware/cd_drive_error_code_39.shtml

About step 2. Yes you may not see CODE 39 but I still remove those filters because after these 2 steps and one more test I replace the drive.

Last test? Does this CD?DVD drive still boot? That is, can I boot from that drive with UBUNTU or other?
BOb

Collapse -
DVD-R plays fine
by VistaVictim / January 1, 2010 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try the usuals.

Big thanks for the quick reply, i'll try these. I should add, by the way, my DVD-recordable disks play fine (i.e. stuff recorded off TV). It is the original movie DVDs that don't work any more, even though they used to. This suggests to me there is a weird software issue.

Collapse -
Not wierd at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: DVD-R plays fine

Vista (most versions) don't play DVD content. Try this.

Go get VLC PLAYER and play a DVD with that. What happens?

Collapse -
downloading it now
by VistaVictim / January 1, 2010 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Not wierd at all.

thanks for the immediate treatment

Collapse -
IT WORKS!
by VistaVictim / January 1, 2010 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: downloading it now

This is amazing - it works right away! You have just made our Friday night! As me and my girl were just about to watch a movie. Thanks so much. If this was in the real world, I'd by you a beer.

So, I guess Vista's own update disabled the DVD player ? Seems like incredibly lousy planning on Windows' part.

Anyway, thanks again. Very much.

Collapse -
Yes and no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: IT WORKS!

Windows updates can break video dvd play. But the full story is deeper than you may think. The player is not from MSFT so to fix it we have to find the name of the player software which is not Windows Media Player.
Bob

Collapse -
Showing my ignorance now
by VistaVictim / January 1, 2010 6:05 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and no.

Ok, but does that mean my laptop's DVD never ran on MSFT software? I would find that amazing, that a laptop comes with Vista as standard, but Vista doesn't control all internal hardware. Surely XP was better than that, and did handle internal DVD drives?

Thanks for the IT lesson.

Collapse -
Dual layer problem
by VistaVictim / January 1, 2010 8:53 PM PST

I just tried a few more DVDs and a movie on "dual-layer" DVD format doesn't work. Would there be a software solution to this? Or does it suggest my hardware is dual-layer incompatible ?

Thanks again in advance.

Collapse -
It must be the software..
by VistaVictim / January 2, 2010 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Dual layer problem

Now, I see that a Dual Layer DVD I could play a year ago doesn't work any more. So, my hardware is Dual Layer compatible. I guess the program I just downloaded was only a partial fix.

Collapse -
You bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 12:57 AM PST

Here's the fact. MSFT's Windows didn't include a dvd "decoder" so we could ENABLE Windows Media Player by installing something like PowerDVD or a dozen others. Let me shortchange you on the full story but it's a well worn area of discussion.

Once we find out what that software was, we reinstall that. WHY DID IT BREAK? Updates to WMP could break it.

About DUAL LAYER. That's a sign the DVD drive is aging. It should start showing other signs of trouble but at least that's cheap to replace. Try newegg.com or geeks.com for a new one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.