Question

Dvd player software

I am looking for a dvd player that can play almost all kinds of dvds( all formats), if anyone knows where I can download it please let me know.At the moment I am usng vlc media player.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dvd player software
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dvd player software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: DVD's

Well, there is only one official DVD-format. That's used by all retail DVD's you can buy and played by all DVD-players.

Then there are data DVD's. Data DVD's can contain any file (for example, the Windows 8 installation DVD is a data DVD). If one of those files happens to be a movie in some format (and there are a lot of formats), to view it you need a program that knows that format. There's no program that knows all, VLC player knows a lot. If it doesn't, just find and download the program you need for that specific format.
I see no disadvantage to having different programs to play different formats. It's like using Excel to view a spreadsheet and Powerpoint to view a presentation, if you can't find a program that does both.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
all formats?

Everything under the sun? not likely. Maybe some media player might come close. Take a look of the LG335w specification.

- Collapse -
Sorry my mistake.

"dvd player software"?

- Collapse -
Answer
What doesn't VLC Player play?

What doesn't VLC Player play? That's probably the single most versatile playback software out there, so if it doesn't work with something, odds are nothing else will or it's some extremely obscure format that basically the format developer and the person who encoded the video use and no one else.

CNET Forums