TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD Player Purchase

by Scott Eiss / March 13, 2008 4:29 AM PDT

Like many, I waited for the DVD war to end before looking at new DVD players. I am not thrilled about buying a Blu-ray player due to the still high prices (and now the reduced likelihood of price reductions). Unfortunately, my standard Sony DVD player gave up the ghost not long ago. As a stop gap measure, why not buy a dirt cheap HD DVD player and use it until pricing on Blu-ray comes down? Keep in mind that I have only been viewing standard DVDs to date and that is basically what I am looking to "replace" for now (with the possibility of viewing an occasional HD DVD movie that I might buy or borrow). My TV is a Samsung 46" DLP 780p.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Player Purchase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Player Purchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
STILL A GREAT VALUE................
by Riverledge / March 13, 2008 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Player Purchase

THE SONY PLAYSTATION 3!!!

Best wishes,
Riverledge.

Collapse -
DVD player
by jasondtx / March 18, 2008 2:37 AM PDT

I would buy an inexpensive Denon or normal upconverting player. They will probably lock up less, load faster, and since you're watching normal dvds mostly anyway they should look the same.

Collapse -
True, take the leap and join the next generation
by airbornetino / March 25, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

I have one of these and with the usual software updates, I know that my ps3 will be able to handle standard and high definition movies for years to come. It has multiple connections available for any TV and even lets you browse the next and connect to friends even if you are not a gamer. The multimedia abilities will blow you away. I would have paid the same for this even if it didn't play the video games!

Collapse -
Yeah, get a cheap one to tide you over until better BluRay
by NM_Bill / March 19, 2008 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD Player Purchase

players that handle standard def disks too - become reasonable priced.

Don't run a literal interpretation into the ground. I wouldn't suggest a $29 player that mass merchandisers have as price leaders.

Maybe you can find a last years model at half price closeout. I got my cheaper Denon one for $79 at model year changeover. Its performance is so close to my expensive one costing nearly ten times as much, that the difference is very minor.

No reason to ever go terrible high priced for disk players as they are made to a standard of lasting generally for around five years. New ones have such nice crisp pictures, so regard them disposable appliances. Don't go crazy; 5 years & out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.