Samsung forum

General discussion

DVD playback on BluRay - picture size options question ...

by mike_yoshida / January 14, 2010 6:18 AM PST

I previously recorded (on DVD-RW+ 8x) a Star Trek TOS episode on my Sony RDR-HX715. When I play it back on BluRay, the ZOOM1/2 selection options are grayed out and not available. So I'm stuck with either a very tiny 4:3 picture in the middle of the screen, a somewhat stretched and slightly larger 16:9, or a very stretched out WIDE ZOOM image -- none of which fill the screen proportionately. Is there a setting somewhere else I'm missing, which will enable the ZOOM1/2 options?

My set up:

A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV (HDMI-out --> TV-HDMI1-in)
Home Media HD DVR - FiosTV w/HD package (HDMI-out --> Rcvr-HDMI1-in)
Bluray player - Samsung BDP-3600 (HDMI-out --> Rcvr-HDMI-2-in)
TV - Samsung UN55-B8000

Thanks, Mike Yoshida

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD playback on BluRay - picture size options question ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD playback on BluRay - picture size options question ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DVD playback on BluRay - picture size options question ...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2010 8:17 AM PST

mike_yoshida,

HDMI sends a pixel-by-pixel digital representation of the source video. Unfortunately there is no option to stretch or manipulate that using a HDMI connection.

You might try connecting your set with component cables, as I believe those options may be available with component cables.

--HDTech

Collapse -
@ Samsung_HD_Tech
by mike_yoshida / January 18, 2010 5:26 AM PST

I kinda understand the pixel by pixel thing. What I don't quite get is how then is it able to "WIDE ZOOM"? Logically, then why wouldn't it be able to vertically zoom to keep the proper proportions?

Collapse -
@ Samsung_HD_Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2010 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: @ Samsung_HD_Tech

mike_yoshida,

Because even though the zoom would fill the screen, the aspect ratio may put some of the picture outside of the viewing area.

--HDTech

Collapse -
WIDE Zoom / Zoom1 / Zoom2
by mike_yoshida / February 2, 2010 7:54 AM PST

Your answer: HDMI sends a pixel-by-pixel digital representation of the source video. Unfortunately there is no option to stretch or manipulate that using a HDMI connection.

You might try connecting your set with component cables, as I believe those options may be available with component cables.

My next question should have been quite simply: How then is it capable of "WIDE ZOOM"?

Collapse -
same problem
by DarthBrayn / February 5, 2010 9:33 AM PST

I am watching a dvd hooked up with hdmi and the only way I can get the proportions correct is to view 4:3 and when I do that there are black bars on the top and bottom as well as the expected black bars on the left and right. This problem persists with direct tv as well which is also hooked up hdmi unless I'm watching a high def widescreen channel. 16:9 seems to slightly stretch the image horizontally while the zoom1 and zoom2 options are greyed out and unusable please help. I have another samsung wide screen hooked to an xbox360 with hdmi and i watch movies on it and have none of the proportion issues I have had with this newer tv. It lets me use zoom1 zoom2 new problem. I tried calling Samsung tech help and was disconnected twice before the phone was answered so I figured I'd scoure the net looking for answers.

Collapse -
same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2010 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: same problem

DarthBrayn,

You might check the output settings on the DVD player and the cable/sat box. You shouldn't have lines on both the sides and top-and-bottom, and that would indicate that the issue is the input signal. So changing that peripheral's settings should help.

Some widescreen movies will have black bars on the top and bottom, since that's the way the movie was filmed. The producers get to choose the actual aspect ratio, so those sizes may vary.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks
by DarthBrayn / February 22, 2010 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: same problem

I'll try that. I suspect that I need to have both devices output at native instead of 1080p because even on one directTV station I will see variation ranging from perfect widescreen high def to standard(4:3) and even standard with black bars on top and bottom. I assume my 360 and other tv have no problem with this because it looks at the native resolution. If only everything was widescreen high def... maybe someday

Collapse -
Zoom for blu-ray dvd
by dmacbean / September 20, 2011 1:59 PM PDT

The existing zoom effect on older DVD players is fine. There are no issues when a small part of the image is lost, outside the frame. Why is this so difficult for blu-ray?

Collapse -
Zoom for blu-ray dvd
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 20, 2011 5:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Zoom for blu-ray dvd

dmacbean -

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.