Samsung forum

General discussion

DVD Playback on BD-Pxxxx models (mine BD-P4600)

by SIWilson / September 6, 2010 10:18 PM PDT

Searching through the forums here, I noticed this issue of standard DVD playback (skipping, pixelating about halfway through) was reported in 2009. But I never saw any resolutions. My BD-P4600 began doing this after the 2.09 upgrade. Installing 2.12 hasnt resolved the issue. What I have noticed is that (for me) it seems to start after the dual-layer trigger. Some have reported a lengthy delay during that pause, but what I have seen now, is that this is when the skips, pauses, dead stops, and pixelization begins. Removing the disc, and starting from that point again, will allow me to watch the rest of the film without incident, but this is not what I wanted in a $400.00 BD player. Im out of warranty now Im sure, Ive had this player for a year now. It plays Blu-Ray flawlessly, but Id would like to see this DVD playback issue resolved. Ive called Samsung support to no avail. Ive done all the standard troubleshooting steps, resetting, etc. Is there any new news on this issue? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Playback on BD-Pxxxx models (mine BD-P4600)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Playback on BD-Pxxxx models (mine BD-P4600)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by SIWilson / September 14, 2010 1:38 AM PDT

Hi Samsung_HD_Tech, do know of any information on this issue? Is there any possibility of a resolution? I really dont want to have to go out and buy a seperate Upconvert DVD player to go along with my Blu-Ray player that is supposed to be able to handle this. Thanks.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 14, 2010 1:42 PM PDT

SIWilson,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

After the warranty is up, unfortunately there's not much I can do. That said, I'm not the service department, and I can't make those final decisions, and they can. But if it's out of warranty, I'm unable to escalate the issue.

I can send your post to the appropriate department, however, I won't have any information until a modification is announced if that happens. I've watched many DVDs on several 2009 models, and while I don't doubt that you're having the issue as you describe, I haven't been able to replicate the problem. It's likely that the unit can be serviced to fix this issue, and that's probably what the problem is - a service issue.

I don't have any new information.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by SIWilson / September 15, 2010 12:27 AM PDT

What if this player still is in warranty? My purchase date was Aug 17, 2009, but I remember when I registered the player on Samsung's website, I was notified that I got 3 extra months of warranty for registering through the website. So would I still be in warranty then?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 15, 2010 4:18 PM PDT

SIWilson,

The Blu-Ray players generally have a 1-year parts, 90 days labor. But the service department would be able to address warranty issues better than I can.

So I don't give out the wrong information online, I'd have to recommend calling them to see if anything can be done on a case-by-case basis.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Any updates?
by jtalbot13 / January 3, 2011 8:15 AM PST

Hey Wilson. What did you end up doing with this issue? I'm having the same problem after 1.5 years of owning the same unit.

Collapse -
Update: DVD Playback on BD-Pxxxx models (mine BD-P4600)
by SIWilson / January 3, 2011 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Any updates?

Hey Talbot, unfortunately I wound up going ahead and purchasing a stand-alone upconvert DVD player. Purchased an inexpensive Sony model for about $30.00 after doing some price matching. Found a really good 6 foot HDMI cable on Amazon for about 10.00. I figured this was the cheapest route to solving my issue. Samsung support doesnt appear to want to acknowledge the problem (no further firmware updates either). I did not realish the prospect of mailing my 400.00 4600 in the mail all the way to NJ and paying 50 - 150 dollars to fix something that should already work, and having it come back possibly worse. As it stands now the Blu-Ray discs play flawlessly. Its a shame I cant play standard DVDs on it though without the problem cropping up. But I figured 40.00 for a new upconvert player and cable was a better investment than the 50.00 (probably more) in repair costs and the risks associated.

Im sorry this doesnt offer much hope in the resolution of this matter. Im still just as disappointed in Samsung over it. If anything it has pursuaded me to not purchase from Samsung again. That is a shame though because my TV is also a Samsung and works great. The P4600 bluray was a great player with a great picture until it stopped playing DVDs correctly. But if this is what you get for service/support after your purchase, its honestly not worth it.

Collapse -
any updates
by jtalbot13 / January 3, 2011 11:26 AM PST

Thanks SIWilson. I had a feeling you were going to say that. Honestly I'm also very disappointed with Samsung too for leaving us in the cold with one of the higher end DVD players on the market. This seems to be a new trend of theirs.

I bought my wife a Samsung Behold 2 Android smart phone and again they abandoned it and now it's one one the worse Android phones on the market. After working in IT field for some years now I repeat these stories to everyone so consumers know that Samsung does not care for the quality or customer satisfaction as they once did. I too will never but Samsung again. And it sucks because yes they do make some great TV's.

Collapse -
any updates - New!
by SIWilson / January 3, 2011 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: any updates

At this point thats all that we unfortunate Samsung customers can do - warn others to not repeat our mistakes and purchase from Samsung. Im also in IT, well over 20 years now, and I do carry some clout with peers, family and friends in regards to technology decisions. I have pursuaded many to avoid Samsung products and will continue to do so, until Samsung has demonstrated that it cares about their customers. It is unfortunate that it comes to this, but I was so appalled by the so-called customer service representatives time and time over, whose #1 priority is to get you off the phone - problem unresolved in hopes that you will not call back. I mean how many times can each of their multi-tiered support levels all ask you the same thing? "Did you reset the player? Yes? Well lets do it again anyway.."

I think its time for the Samsung organization to be "reset"... at all levels.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.