Windows Vista forum

General discussion

DVD Maker hangs at "creating dvd, please wait"

by yesmath / July 2, 2010 5:37 PM PDT

This is my first time trying to burn a video DVD. I am using DVD Maker on my laptop (Vista 64 bit). After I loaded about 100 min of video and photos, and pressed Burn, for 10 minutes, the screen read Preparing 0% and creating dvd, please wait. I restarted the whole computer and tried again, but same result --- nothing!

My device manager says the DVD drive is TSST corp. I have burned audio and data CDs successfully.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Maker hangs at "creating dvd, please wait"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Maker hangs at "creating dvd, please wait"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure you waited long enough?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 8:18 PM PDT

If the drive is still working, what we need to discuss are a few things.

1. Creating a DVD on my old Acer ter-600 was a 6 hour wait. Your machine might be much faster (I can't find what you have.)

2. DVD Maker could hang on video files it does not understand. This area is deeply discussed and you can read how folk deal with it. Here I only offer DVD FLICK (try that!)

3. Let's say DVD Maker can use the files and does not hang. Even on a common Core 2 Duo at 2 or more GHz it should take up to an hour for it to render the files to a DVD image. Some software does a poor job of showing progress and folk reboot.
Bob

Collapse -
Still 0% progress after 2 hours
by yesmath / July 3, 2010 1:08 PM PDT

WHen I cancelled the DVDMaker window, then try to restart DVD Maker, I get a window saying it's already running. So then I restarted my laptop.

I deleted half of my files from my list to try it again. I don't think there's any unusual files in the list. But my next try, I'll build the list from scratch paying attention to the file types.

I've left my laptop on for 2 hours and still DVD maker says Preparing 0% Please wait. My task manager says DVDMaker.exe has been using about 50% of the CPU and memory about 90M. I just opened my DVD drive to see when DVD Maker complains, but no change yet after 4 min.

PS My Toshiba laptop has 4G Ram and Intel Core 2 Duo running Vista Home.

ANy more ideas before I abandon DVD Maker for a different software?

Collapse -
You could tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

The video file's ENCODING matters. DVD Maker is known to hang on many files (especially those that are downloaded from the internet.) This issue floors folk that are new to this area but knowing about it in any depth takes a long time it seems. Everyone must be patient as the new videographer learns that not all software and titles work together.

DVD FLICK is free, could be tested in about 15 minutes with your title file.
Bob

Collapse -
Keep file names...
by Papa Echo / July 4, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

... short. Rename if required. Keep file formats the same. DVD Maker has to convert your files into the DVD format, seperating the audio and video components in the process, then create the DVD file, before creating and burning the DVD. Takes time. Is DVD Maker a new program [version 1.0] just out of beta ? If so, it is common to have hitches...

Collapse -
still need DVD making software to work
by yesmath / July 4, 2010 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Keep file names...

I redid my list to contain only videos of one type: Movie files (MPG) that I took with my own camera. DVD Maker still got stuck saying preparing 0% for 3 hours, though the task manager says it was taking up 50% of my CPU. I can't tell the version of DVD Maker; there is no About information - it's whatever version comes with Vista Home edition that came with my laptop I bought about 2 years ago. I can't find any site where I can "update" DVD Maker. There aren't any tabs in DVD Maker that talk about codecs. So I think I'm out of options.

BTW I tried downloading DVD Flick or some other software, but my antivirus says the sites I'm accessing are risky...are there any sites you know are okay for downloading DVD making software?

Collapse -
using Windows Movie Maker first worked
by yesmath / July 4, 2010 10:52 PM PDT

When I entered my home videos into Movie Maker, then selected burn, it opened DVD maker and miraculously worked. Who knows why? They were exactly the same files that I added directly to DVD maker!

Collapse -
Windows Movie Maker...
by Papa Echo / July 5, 2010 12:57 AM PDT

...created a movie file from your files, and DVD maker came up as the default burning program to burn that WMM video file... they were no longer "the same files". DVD maker must have been a program installed by the manufacturer of your computer. Since you cannot find any information at "About", that may be a beta verion, so you have problems... [Corel makes product of the same name]. Try downloading DVD Flick from somewhere else... LIST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.