Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD file lost on hard drive, midway thru copying,NTI DVD-7

by jovanzinc / July 16, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

Hello,
Midway thru copying DVD from source, I got called away, and on returning found that program had ended itself before I had a chance to transfer it to the blank, but that DVD copy is still floating around somewhere waiting to be put on the blank disk. So, I'm unable to do any other copying, because it has eaten up all my available disk space, and I've run out of ideas on where to look for it and remove it. My search for video_ts file lists only one, and says that the folder is empty. I'm relatively new with this, and sure would appreciate some clues to fixing this!! (Using WinXP)
Thanks, Kit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD file lost on hard drive, midway thru copying,NTI DVD-7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD file lost on hard drive, midway thru copying,NTI DVD-7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lost Dvd File
by Gigantic / July 16, 2006 11:56 AM PDT

I'm tearing my hair out trying to find how this actually happened at all. shouldn't their be safe guards or something against it accidentally happening.
I just brought this computer for the dvd burner feature. which is now rendered useless until this stupid file is found. I've tryed everything under the sun to get information on how to reinstall it, but no luck. Good luck with your problem- wish i could have been of some assistance- hang in there- somebody out
there in computer geekville might have the answer.

Collapse -
What burning software?

There should be an option to cancel, delete, or not continue the current DVD. Just terminate the current job and it will let you start a new one. As to the disk space being eaten up, once the job is canceled it should be taken care of automatically. However, you can clear out your computer's Temp files if you want, which is usually where the disk image is stored during the burning process. The catch is that they may be undeletable because they are 'in use,' which brings us back to canceling the current job. Note the program you're using and we'll see what we can do to help.

John

P.S. If you intend on continuing to burn CDs and DVDs full of data, you may want to consider investing in a larger hard drive to handle the data. If you're low on disk space now it won't be long before you lack the space required to perform the operation.

Collapse -
DVD file lost-----(Sony) NTI CD & DVD Maker 7
by jovanzinc / July 17, 2006 9:35 AM PDT

Hi--Thanks for your reply,
----that's just it---there should've been a way to cancel or stop the program, but while I was away from the computer, the session had quit, and didn't allow me to go to "Step 2", and put the DVD onto my blank disk. It just went back to "start" as though it hadn't already stored that file. However there is 4GB memory now "missing". As far as I know I have cleared every available temp file I can (other than the one "in use", as you said). So I'm baffled and frustrated. The additional hard drive is sounding like a good option right now. Any other thoughts?
Thank you very much, Kit

Collapse -
Try the Computer Help forum...
by John.Wilkinson / July 20, 2006 10:19 AM PDT

I'm not familiar with the burning software, so there's not much else I can suggest. If you do find the temp files taking up the space you can use MoveOnBoot to take care of the 'access denied' and 'file in use' errors. Aside from that, though, try posting in the Computer Help forum to see what others can suggest.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
DVD file lost-----(Sony) NTI CD & DVD Maker 7
by jovanzinc / July 20, 2006 1:43 PM PDT

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help !!
Kitt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?