PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dvd Drives

by Scott Swinyard / June 24, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

What is the most popular drive for the common user? I'd want to do all the usual stuff from archiving to movies, and I'm assuming the best all around drive for a good price is going to be the most popular, Any opinions you may have of your own or technical information that may shed some light on this for me are also welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dvd Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dvd Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Commodity item?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Dvd Drives

I don't look too close at the 39 buck dual layer 16X DVDRW drives we install at the office. If they fail in a year we'll replace them but what we discovered is that most last 2 or more years. Since HD DVD recorders are just starting to trickle out I think this is a good deal.

Try newegg.com and other places.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nec-3550a
by damasta55r / June 25, 2006 3:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
34.99 at newegg. BUT...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2006 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) nec-3550a

It has no bundled software. For me, not a big deal but some should look up one notch to get some software.

Bob

Collapse -
Especially. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 25, 2006 5:33 AM PDT

if the no bundled software includes the plain old, standard, run of the mill DVD Player software.

I got stuck in an airport a few months back with my new company laptop with DVD drive. I thought, "No sweat, I'll just find a store and buy a couple of DVDs to watch". I quickly found a store, bought a couple of DVDs I'd been wanting to see, found a place near the main exit door (so I could walk out and smoke), found a chair with an AC outlet next to it, powered up the laptop, plugged in the ear buds, popped in the DVD, and nothing. No bundled software. And my codecs for Media player were at home on my desktop. So I spent 8 hours at O'Hare. Needless to say the codecs got installed when I got home.

Collapse -
speeds
by linkit / June 25, 2006 7:08 PM PDT

Right now, I look for dual layer DVD burners with the following speeds (since I burn these types of discs the most):

DVD-R 16X
DVD+R 16X
CD-R at least 48X

Once I find models with at least those speeds, I try to maximize the rest of the speeds when comparing:
CD-RW
DVD+RW
DVD-RW
DVD+RW DL
DVD-RW DL

2MB cache is fine. 8MB cache is not worth extra $$, IMO.

Around $40 (or less) online for a desktop model.

Collapse -
speeds (correction)
by linkit / June 25, 2006 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: speeds
DVD+RW DL
DVD-RW DL

Should be:
DVD+R DL
DVD-R DL
Collapse -
dual layer and max speeds
by almostheaven83 / June 26, 2006 12:59 AM PDT

if you are in the market for a new drive you have probably seem dual layer or DL these are only worth the money if you have a file that you can't fit on a standard 4.7 Gb DVD a DL DVD however has 8.5Gb or storage but you probably don't have a compatible DVD player or any files that would require that much space but I found that the DL disks are better if you back up your PC because you use less disks

The max speeds for DVDs are usually the same but the CD format is usually about 48x to 54x so if you see a drive that has 48x and one that is 54x the speed won?t make a difference to you because most of the time CDs won?t burn at the max speed even when set to

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks
by Scott Swinyard / June 26, 2006 5:05 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?