Samsung forum

General discussion

dvd drive wont read blank dvds

by tone6548 / October 8, 2009 6:25 AM PDT

hi,

ive had my current samsung dvd writer drive (SH-S182M) for a couple of years now and have never had any problems with it up until now.

ive been tryin to burn an iso to dvds but the problem seems to be that the dvd drive wont read my blank TDK dvds. when i insert the dvd one of two things happen.

1 - it takes several minutes to access the dvd and when it does it changes from DVD RAM drive to CD drive. the iso im tryin to burn is over 3gb so i get an error message sayin cd it to small to burn iso.

2 - it simply wont even read the dvd.

ive updated to firmware version SB05. the latest firmware version SB06 wont install for some reason.

can anyone help me with this? apart from this issue the dvd drive is fine which makes it all the more strange.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dvd drive wont read blank dvds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dvd drive wont read blank dvds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 8, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

tone6548,

Could it be that the software is looking for a CD - and does the burning suite have DVD support? Some of the older programs do not, and would therefore reject a DVD. If you've used this program before to burn DVDs, then this probably doesn't pertain.

You noted one manfuacturer of discs - do other brands work, or is it limited to this one particular brand?

Does the drive read other DVDs, such as movies?

Tech support may be able to assist with the update for the drive, and can be reached at 800-SAMSUNG.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by tone6548 / October 9, 2009 7:31 PM PDT

1 - its when i open my computer that the drive changes deom dvd drive to cd drive when i insert the blank cd. and yep nero defo supports dvd burning.

2 - havent tried any other brands but TDK is one of the recommended brands according to the dvd drive manual.

3 - yep the drive detects all my other dvds no problem.

has anyone else managed to burn dvds with the drive? if so, what brand of dvd did they use?

Collapse -
dvd drive wont read blank dvds......
by waldwolf / October 10, 2009 1:50 AM PDT

tone6458 -

Unfortunately, there are good dvd blanks and bad dvd blanks both from the same manufacturers.

You didn't mention which blanks you were using, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, or DVD+R DL.

For example, my laptop will burn all versions of Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Verbatum, HP, and most other DVD

Collapse -
: dvd drive wont read blank dvds
by tone6548 / October 11, 2009 8:54 PM PDT

great info there. yeah my blank dvds are TDK+R. ive just ran that program and the makers are actually called Ritek Corp whoever they are.

il have a look around for a different brand of dvd then.

Collapse -
by tone6548 / October 12, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

one more question, what type of dvd should i be looking for?

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, or DVD+R DL.

Collapse -
by waldwolf / October 12, 2009 11:18 AM PDT

tone6548 -

"one more question, what type of dvd should i be looking for?"

That would depend on what end purpose you plan for the DVD.

To save general data, such as daily/weekly backups of data, I use Verbatum, Sony, HP and Staples Brand DVD

Collapse -
by waldwolf / October 13, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

tone6548 -

One thing I forgot to mention.

If you buy some DVD's (or for that matter CD's) and have a problem burning them, take them back to the store where you bought them and demand they replace same with another brand, or give you a refund. If they tell you your past the 60 or 90 day "Return Policy", remind them that "under FEDERAL law, the warranty period countdown "clock" stops, when a defective in a consumer product occurs".

The above also applies to ALL online purchases. On those, I also demand the seller email me a PREPAID UPS return label. You may get an argument, but in the end 99.9% will send it. (If they still won't, post a "negative business on their website" on their website. That usually brings fast action.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.