Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD drive won't play dvd's

XP Home SP2. Sony DVD/CD-RW drive

Laptop is about 3 years old. Suddenly DVD drive will not play dvd's. It plays CD-Roms and Audio CD's fine but after a few clicks and and an attempt at whirring it does nothing at all with a dvd. I've searched the forums and found no useful advice other than that the drive is probably broken and will need replacing. Should this happen after only 3 years? Never happened to me before. Or is there something else I can do.

Thanks in anticipation

Tim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD drive won't play dvd's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD drive won't play dvd's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We Replace Those...3 Years Is About Right...

In reply to: DVD drive won't play dvd's

...especially if you've used them a lot. They frequently start losing the ability to read one type of disc or another when they're headed south. You can always try a lens cleaner but since a lens cleaner may cost $10 -$15 and a new drive can be found for $30-$35,(maybe less on sale) then we replace them..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Three years is a reasonable life

In reply to: DVD drive won't play dvd's

for such a device. They get dirty or the laser gets weak. Presuming you're codecs are in tack, you can put in a DVD that you know is good that contains a file that WMP can play and navigate to it from Windows Media Player rather than just click on it. WMP might give give a clue such as an error message when it tries to access the file. If so, I'd say you an try an appropriate cleaning method but a replacement need at three years isn't a bad track record.

Collapse -
Faulty dvd drive

In reply to: Three years is a reasonable life

Well, what d'you know? After a few days it is suddenly playing dvd's again. Is this typical behaviour when a drive is on its way out? Or is there something else going on?

A couple of little mysteries: Device Manager lists two optical drives, the Sony that is the only one fitted to the laptop and one labled JM3237G FMX678U SCSI CdRom. The Sony is an IDE drive, so I have no idea what the other one is. I occaisionally use a USB flash drive, but otherwise no other optical drive has ever been connected to this machine.

Also, Explorer claims that I have two DVD drives: E and H. H is the Sony, and I have no idea what E is supposed to me.

Could this have anything to do wit the drive's erratic behaviour, or is it just dying slowly like a western hero?

Tim

Collapse -
Any CD/DVD emulation software

In reply to: Faulty dvd drive

Will likely be listed as a SCSI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!