Peripherals forum

General discussion

DVD Drive Replacement

Hi, I have a NEC ND6650A Drive in my Laptop that has gone bad and am considering alternate manufacturers( not pleased with NEC).
I like Pioneer DVR K17, But am wondering about compatibility -
1. Dimensions
2. Interface
There seems to be a difference in the information of the two products(available online)
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Drive Replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Drive Replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The bezel rarely is an exact match.

In reply to: DVD Drive Replacement

But I no longer worry about that. If you look at the picture of the business end of the drive and if the connector is in the same spot it will plug in. As to software compatibility it rarely works with what OEM versions you have.

Bob

Collapse -
DVD replacement

In reply to: The bezel rarely is an exact match.

All of the CD/DVD's that I have seen interface the same. If you are having difficulty, you might consider an external drive which can be
installed by merely pluging in a USB connector.

Collapse -
bad nec DVD drive

In reply to: DVD Drive Replacement

I got a notebook from Dell, and my NEC ND-6650A DVD drive had to be replaced when just out of warranty (at my cost). Almost one year later, seems I need another replacement. No problems writing and reading CDs; and I can still, sometimes, read DVDs prerecorded on. But now I can't read anymore DVDs I burned myself, although some of them can be read on friends (different make/model)DVD drives.
What happens with mine is that after inserting a DVD into the drive, there is a clicking noise which stops after a minute or so; when I try to open (read the content of) the DVD, I get a msg 'insert a disk'. Also, the drive is scratching my DVD, there are one or more circles on the writing surface which look to me like scratches.
The upshot, in my opinion, is that this drive (NEC ND-6650A) has an inherent fault, and should be replaced, free of charge, by NEC or the retailer of this product.

Collapse -
And they will replace it.

In reply to: bad nec DVD drive

If it's in warranty. I don't see why they would outside of warranty.

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, if still under warranty

In reply to: And they will replace it.

....which it ain't. They should in any case, as IMO that drive is unfit to be marketed, unless there is a clear statement that the drive will last less than 12 month. In my view, it's less a fault of Dell, but of NEC. I can accept I got one only bad DVD drive, but the indications are there is a design flaw - so NEC ought to recall and replace their faulty drives.
As it is, I can't recommend to anyone to buy a computer with a ND 6550A DVD drive.

Collapse -
It's a well known issue that such drives are lasting ...

In reply to: Yeah, if still under warranty

Only some 12 to 36 months. Some of us consider this unacceptable. But let's think back to the days when a drive lasted 5 years. It was a bit pricey compared to today.

Will you pay that price?

Bob

Collapse -
NEC dvd drives

In reply to: It's a well known issue that such drives are lasting ...

It wasn't a well know fact to me. And it IS unacceptable. To the consumer as well as the manufacturers (since I will tend to stay clear from any NCE (and come to that, Dell)products, from now on.
As to the price, it's irrelevant. I was one of the first who bought a 1X (single speed!!!) CD drive for A$1000 at the time. If one can still buy a CD drive only (most are now DVD which handles CD as well, a combo drive can be gad for $30. Same applies to hard disks.

Once more, my point is that this particular NEC DVD drive is flawed. Shouldn't be on the market! Would you accept to buy a new car, and the engine, or the engine computer management system, packs it it after one year?

And last, don't know if I can replace that NEC drive with a different make/model, it may not fit into my notebook. One option might be to go for an external DVD drive. Which defeats the purpose of having a compact transportable computer.

Collapse -
Sadly, my 1KUSD 1X CD recorder still functions.

In reply to: NEC dvd drives

They don't make them like they used to but we don't pay 1K buck anymore either.

Was this a good trade?

The NEC in question lasted no longer or shorter than other makes I encounter. Why would you only slam NEC for this? My bet in 12 to so many months you will dislike your new make of drive.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!