Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dvd drive playback

all of a sudden i can no longer play dvds on my computer. i have tried several new store purchased copies, running right after start-up with nothing running in the background and different programs. all the results are the same, it almost seems like the videos are running at 1/2 speed which they are not in the controls. no other video does this except dvds. i have no spyware, etc. that i am aware of and the computer runs flawlessly with no other issues. i went into the advanced settings of the drive(s) and one selection had pio instead of dma, i changed that around and also have installed the lite codecs just to make sure and it still has the same jerky playback of both video and audio. could this be a bad drive or dirty lense?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dvd drive playback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dvd drive playback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1/2 speed, 2X speed.

In reply to: Dvd drive playback

I don't see the machine make or model but there was/is an issue that is easily cured by updating the machine's audio driver.

-> After that, I always try VLC PLAYER.

I am not being mean here, but since you didn't tell the make, model number and such I am left to think you don't need help finding this driver?
Bob

Collapse -
dvd playback issues (reply)

In reply to: 1/2 speed, 2X speed.

if you think it is a driver, i have a gateway mx6440.

Collapse -
additional information

In reply to: dvd playback issues (reply)

i installed the vlc player earlier and just have cleaned the lense for it to continue the same. someone just mentioned above that they're under the impression of the playback in slow motion alone. yes, but it is very jerky and the audio jerks as well. you could probably almost watch a movie like this, however it is extremely annoying.

Collapse -
Just checking in.

In reply to: additional information

You didn't tell what you did about the audio drivers you have or if you went to gateway.com. Since you now have the model number why not do a little more?

Collapse -
the issue is spreading

In reply to: Just checking in.

well, it turns out there is something else going on here causing bad dvd playback. now, my computer is taking forever to get to the boot up screen with the xp password box. then my hd light and cpu usage are at around 100% for probably a good 10 minutes then it'll drop to normal operating percentages. the problem is affecting everything now as well. start-up chime/music and all video/sound.

i hardly even have any programs running at startup and the taskbar. besides i don't think this would even cause the xp login boot screen to delay?

Collapse -
Ouch. But there was a laptop last week.

In reply to: the issue is spreading

The vents had become clogged so we did the usual yearly cleaning and it snapped back to full speed.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.