Storage forum

General discussion

DVD drive not showing on OS

by turveykt / October 17, 2006 9:08 AM PDT

Operating system:XP Pro x64
DVD drive:Samsung SH-S162A

Hi,

It seems my OS knows my DVD drive is installed, as it shows up on Device Maneger (also shows up in the Bios).But when i try to use it there is nothing.Doest even show up under my computer.Can anyone help!!

Things ive tried so far:
Checked Bios setup-shows up here
Unistalled Driver then Re-installed - Shows up as working , but in practice no responce.
Updated windows
Run a Virus scan- Clean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD drive not showing on OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD drive not showing on OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmmmm. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 17, 2006 12:08 PM PDT

How is it connected to the motherboard? Which IDE port? What size cable? Jumper set how? Alone on the IDE cable or on a separate IDE cable?

Collapse -
drive problem
by turveykt / October 17, 2006 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmm. . .

Hi the drive is set to master, the cable is 80 pin IDE.

thanks , Karl

Collapse -
80 pin IDE? Maybe 80 conductor?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: drive problem

Even so that's a minor typo. 80 conductor IDE cables use that new fangled Cable Select jumper system. It may work on Master but I tend to try the new standard.

You still have to find motherboard drivers for some motherboards to get the CD/DVD drives to show up.

Bob

Collapse -
by VAPCMD / October 17, 2006 12:42 PM PDT

Try Admin Tools
Computer Mgmt
Disk Management
If it shows there ...try assigning it a drive letter...something like ''R''. By assigning it ''R'' it will never be bumped/changed when you add another HDD.

If that doesn't work ... uninstall the drive thru Device Manager and see how if it works after rebooting.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
by turveykt / October 17, 2006 8:23 PM PDT

Hi, i have tried to both suggestions, still nothing unfortunately.

Collapse -
Uhhmmm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 12:43 PM PDT

What do you do for motherboard drivers?

Collapse -
Encore and Power DVD
by turveykt / October 18, 2006 4:23 AM PDT

Hi, I have solved the issue with my drive; it seems it was down to a piece of Adobe software conflicting with my DVD player software. Found this article on the internet if anyone?s interested. Thanks for everyone help

Karl

Collapse -
drive problem
by turveykt / October 18, 2006 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Encore and Power DVD
Collapse -
I didn't read you installed that in your posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: drive problem

Did I miss it?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for posting the outcome ..would have never attributed
by VAPCMD / October 18, 2006 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Encore and Power DVD

to anything with Adobe.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?