Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD Drive detected but can't play CDs/DVDs in Windows 7 64-b

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit and used my DVD drive to upgrade.

My drive was found by windows and was displayed under device manager but I never checked to see if it actually worked in windows. I then installed the program SPTD 1.60 (SCSI-Pass-Through-Direct 1.60) and after that, my drive showed up with an exclamation mark in windows. This program is required for virtual cd-devices (daemon tools).

So I uninstalled the drive and restarted and it found it again and installed proper drivers. BIOS also shows the drive as well.

However, I am unable to play, view, or burn any files when a CD or DVD is in the drive and can't figure out what the problem is. Whenever I put a disk in, it just spins and can never be read. Whenever I try to burn, Nero just stalls while "checking disk."

Windows shows the drive listed as the following: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A SCSI CdRom Device.

The drive is a NEC ND-3540A dvd burner so the listed is correct.

I have also tried the trick to make digitally unsigned drivers alright in windows and also taken off windows burning feature but nothing seems to help.

I uninstalled the SPTD program with no luck.

System Info
Motherboard = GA-P55-UD3R (updated to most recent bios, F4)

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

THANKS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Drive detected but can't play CDs/DVDs in Windows 7 64-b
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Drive detected but can't play CDs/DVDs in Windows 7 64-b
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
. This program is required for virtual cd-devices (daemon to

In reply to: DVD Drive detected but can't play CDs/DVDs in Windows 7 64-b

". This program is required for virtual cd-devices (daemon tools)."

I've lost track of how many times daemon tools created issues. But it is gone.

Try OTHER cd/dvd recording software like CDBURNERXP (I use it on 7), IMGBURN and DVD FLICK. For DVD and CD playback try VLC PLAYER.

-> I learned my lesson on prior OS upgrades. Ready?
1. Clean install if possible.
2. If upgrading, uninstall EVERYTHING you can. Including firewalls, anti-spy, anti-virus, anti-anything along with anything else I can uninstall that I can install later.

I missed what version NERO you had but uninstall that again and try the ones I use today.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll try it out

In reply to: . This program is required for virtual cd-devices (daemon to

Ill try uninstalling Daemon and seeing what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
(NT) Got the latest CD drive firmware ?

In reply to: DVD Drive detected but can't play CDs/DVDs in Windows 7 64-b

Collapse -
Yup

In reply to: Got the latest CD drive firmware ?

Yes, the drive fw is the latest one and was the latest even before this happened. Any other ideas?

THANKS

Collapse -
Got it to work but now it is really slow

In reply to: Yup

Ok I tested it out in another computer and it was working fine. When I put it back in the Windows 7 computer, it now detects DVDs fine. The only problem is that it takes 3-4 minutes to detect the files on the drive and play them. It runs extremely slow...anyone have a resolution to that?

THANKS

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.