Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD & CD RW Drives Suddenly Disappeared...

by klistohuskerfan / June 18, 2005 3:25 PM PDT

My System is custom / home built with the following hardware:

ASUS A7N8X Rev. 2.0 Motherboard
1 Gig. Kingston HyperX 3200 Memory (ultra low latency)
1 120GB SATA HD
1 80GB ATA133 HD
1 60gb ata100 HD
ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 PRO 4x/8x Video Card
Athlon XP 1700 Overclocked & Running Stable at 2.01 Ghz
Memorex 52x24x52 CD-RW Drive
Plextor PX-716A Optical Drive w/ Latest Firmware

OS: Windows XP PRO SP2 w/ all of latest Fixes & Patches

Other Possible Relevant Software:

DVD/CD Software - Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic DVD Edition, InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2, Nero 6 Suite.

Antispyware Software:

Microsoft Antispyware BETA
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 w/ all of the latest updates.

Antivirus software:

Norton Internet Security Suite 2004 w/ Norton Antivirus 2004 and all latest Virus Updates.

Grisoft AVG FREE Edition w/ latest engine & definition updates.

PROBLEM: I was working on my PC and running too many tasks at once when the system hung, forcing me to force a system reset via the reset button. When my machine came back, I later noticed upon attempting to burn an edited home movie to DVD with my DVD Authoring Software (InterVideo WinDVD Creator2) that all of my optical drives had ''dissapeared''!!

Upon further investigation, the Hardware Manager showed driver problems with both of my optical drives. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drives multiple times, but with the same result / error message from windows XP: ''Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.''

I have even tried an ''in-place'' or ''upgrade install'' of windows XP over the top of the old one (from a copy of the install files I placed on my Hard Drive), hoping that this would work, but with no luck!!

I have run a virus scan on my system with AVG Free Edition and Norton Antivirus 2004, as well as spyware/malware scans but they did not turn up any problems!!!

I did try another drive that I had installed as a recovery drive on this system a while ago, and when the recovery drive is set as the boot drive, my optical drives show up; BUT my video project files (which are on the drive containing the goofy copy of XP with the wierd behavior) when I try to open them when I've booted from the recovery drive appear to be missing data!!

But when I switch back and boot from the drive with my regular copy of XP on it (the one where my optical drives seem to have gone AWOL / Disappeared without a trace) the optical drives are still no where to be found, but my video project shows up!!??!! Hence on the drive with my ''missing'' optical drives I can edit & view my video project but I can't burn it to disc, and when I boot from the recovery drive my optical drives are there so I could burn my video project IF IT SHOWED UP CORRECTLY!!

PLEASE HELP!!! I AM AT MY WIT'S END ON THIS!!

Thank-you!

Sincerely,

Klistohuskerfan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD & CD RW Drives Suddenly Disappeared...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD & CD RW Drives Suddenly Disappeared...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Unclear what happened. Try System Restore.
by Kees Bakker / June 18, 2005 5:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
nero and roxio
by Oil_Tan / June 18, 2005 6:11 PM PDT

Nero and roxio on one system is trouble for some pc's.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / June 18, 2005 9:03 PM PDT

1. The article [Q324129] discusses problems and troubleshooting issues that occur concerning CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc, and contains multiple links covering their issues.

2. The article [Q314060] discusses issues when uninstalling and reinstalled Nero in XP or performing an upgrade from a previous OS to XP without uninstalling Nero first -- a known issue for both Adaptec and Nero. The resolution in general is to edit the system registry and removing the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from the system registry.

3. The article [Q824894] describes issues that may occur if your CD-ROM or DVD drive is not configured correctly, the CD-ROM or DVD is damaged or dirty, or the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) installation is damaged.

4. The article [Q314096] furnishes steps and describes how to troubleshoot problems with your CD-ROM drive.

5. [Q310123] lists 33 error codes that may be reported by Device Manager and provides possible resolutions. A "TechNet" article covers up to 49.

6. Use the Windows "Drivers and Network Adapters" troubleshooter.

7. "Your CD-RW drive is not recognized as a rewritable drive in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 [Q883523)."

8. "In the task manager I see that gearsec.exe running on my computer."

9. ''Your IEEE 1394 or USB CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive May Not Be Recognized in Windows XP (Q323507).''

Collapse -
dvd player
by macdom87 / June 18, 2005 11:37 PM PDT

i run win98 and dvd player is gone,drivers and all

Collapse -
In Device Mgr do you have
by TONI H / June 18, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: dvd player

yellow marks next to the Primary and/or Secondary IDE controllers?

TONI

Collapse -
Lost DVD -CD Drives-see Microsoft Support
by Pavery52 / December 12, 2005 2:19 AM PST

Go to: http://support.microsoft.com
and check out the two articles listed below-ID: 314060
and ID:270008. I have had your problem occur at least two times and was able to correct the problem using the information in these two articles.Just copy and paste the info links. As I remember the restore funtion did not help at all.
Good luck. Philip

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qu=320553

CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41 after you remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?mode=s&cat=false&query=314060&srch=sup&x=12&y=13

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?