Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

dvd & cd rom won't recognize new cd's after rebooting.

Whatever cd is in either drive on bootup works fine but once you it's replaced it reads no disk in drive.
System is P4 3gig 1gig Ram xp home 2002 sp2
Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dvd & cd rom won't recognize new cd's after rebooting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dvd & cd rom won't recognize new cd's after rebooting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Filters

In reply to: Try...

My drives don't disapear they just won't see new disks.
There are no upper of lower filters listed.
Help!

Collapse -
Tell a longer story.

In reply to: Filters

Another area if upper and lowerfilters are not found (remember that I have to take your word on this and hope you searched the registry and didn't limit yourself to just the keys from the other discussion) is that some disable AUTO INSERT NOTIFICATION (AIN), forget motherboard drivers or have a failed autoplay (AUTOFIX fixes that for many), but your story and hardware is not shared so we may have to wait to hear what hardware there is and if it ever worked.

Bob

Collapse -
Auto insert Notification

In reply to: Tell a longer story.

I don't think it would be a problem with the Auto insert notification becouse.

When you try to load a 2 disk program (of any kind) after a reboot. The first disk loads. when requested to install the 2nd disk it says either wrong disk or no disk in drive.

I have 2 disk drives. 1 is a dvd drive the 2nd is a cd/rw drive. They both act the same way.

If you reboot it will see the first cd installed. If you attemp to change it. you will get No disk in drive.

That is going thru my computer and looking at the cd drive's they say no disk.
Any Ideas?

Collapse -
Exactly what a failing AIN would do.

In reply to: Auto insert Notification

"When you try to load a 2 disk program (of any kind) after a reboot. The first disk loads. when requested to install the 2nd disk it says either wrong disk or no disk in drive."

AIN when broken could result in exactly this issue. I won't debate it, but look up AUTOFIX and see if it helps.

In closing, why no story and not a word about if it every worked? If you don't answer my questions, how can we proceed?

Bob

Collapse -
Autofix

In reply to: Exactly what a failing AIN would do.

I downloaded autofix ran it on both drives.
It has not cured the problem. Do you think that reinstalling xp might do it?

Collapse -
Not likely.

In reply to: Autofix

Sadly we are at the end of this conversation. You must answer my inquiries for this to progress.

Bob

Collapse -
Your questions

In reply to: Not likely.

I believe that I have answered all of your questions in the posts.
Thank you for your time and effort

Collapse -
" your story and hardware is not shared "

In reply to: Your questions

With every post there's this passage as well -> Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

I also asked if it ever worked.

I know the issue, but without details or clues, I have little more to offer.

Bob

Collapse -
Exact Same Problem

In reply to: dvd & cd rom won't recognize new cd's after rebooting.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. CDs & DVDs that are inserted post boot are not recognized. Here is the some system info and I will gladly provide any further data.

XinXP Pro V5.1 SP2
CD0 - Pioneer 16x16 Dual layer
CD1 - BTC 401-21 CDR/RW +/-
AMD Athalon 2800

What else do you need? I becae aware of this problem when I removed my Original HALO (MS Game CD) and inserted my Original MS Office 2003 CD to install a program to read wordperfect documents. The drive lite goes on, it spins up then slows down and if you use explorer, it still shoes HALO (or whatever CD was last in the drive at bootup) complete with directory structure etc.
Thanks for any advise possible.

Art Rennels

Collapse -
Just one question.

In reply to: Exact Same Problem

Did it ever work?

Also, did you try the upper and lower filter key removal as noted in this discussion?

Bob

Collapse -
CD/DVD's not recognized after boot up

In reply to: Just one question.

Oh yes, it did work perfectly (about two weeks ago as I recall). I did follow the Floppy Disk thread and deleted the UPPERFILTER & Lowerfilter keys in the registry (relative to the Cd & DVD drive). I thought better of deleting those fileters for mouse, keyboard etc. I'm hoping that I don't have restore to a previous date as that won't tell me what the problem was.

What else can I tell you or provide?

Art

Collapse -
It's a bug.

In reply to: CD/DVD's not recognized after boot up

Sorry, but I can't help you track down the bug. But try this other common cure unless you have to find the cause.

-> Boot safe mode, find your way to the device manager and remove all CD/DVD drives there. Reboot and XP will add them back in.

If that doesn't cure it, tell about your system motherboard or the make/model of the machine so we can check motherboard drivers. Also tell of ANY CD EMULATION software.

Bob

Collapse -
Partial Victory

In reply to: It's a bug.

Was unable to log on in safemode (computer locked up every time which is a whole other problem). Deleted the DVD/CD drive as the user and rebooted. Now, when I change from the CD which was in at boot, I can get the proper directory structure, files etc of a newly inserted disk (View - Refresh) but oddly enough the icon and label for the old CD is still there and remains their no matter what CD is inserted. I starte with F:(HALO) went to WIN XP Pro (was actually able to start the set-up part) to MS Streets and Trips. The F:(HALO) stayed in explorer the entire time.

Anyway, I can live with this but if you have any thoughts I'd appreciate it. I also very much appreciate your help thus far today. Thank you.

Art

Collapse -
The no-boot to SAFE MODE is "troubling."

In reply to: Partial Victory

Make a fresh post about that issue. Copy/paste in the details in your new post.

Bob

Collapse -
Also

In reply to: Just one question.

I found a post somewhere that if you could get media player to make a call ato the CD drive that it would refresh the drive info as media player uses some different calls (or something like that). I tried it and was successfuly only once. Now when the disk is changed it just says there is no disk in the dirve and explorer give the data for the previous (bootup) disk.

Thanks
Art

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!