Windows Vista forum

General discussion

DVD & CD drive issues

by PorPorMe / April 11, 2008 11:46 PM PDT

Ever since I installed Vista I've had CD problems. I have re-installed a couple of times with the same problem.
I have a Sony DVD-RW & a Sony CD-RW.The Cd is a slave to the DVD. The Cd has become worthless, it won't read or write.It is recogonized but it can't recogonize a disk.I've tried swapping different burners and Cd-Roms and it stays the same. I've un-installed the drivers and rebooted to reinstall-no joy.
The DVD-RW works to a degree. It will read & write DVD's but gets problematic with data disks. (I have a lot of zip files on cd) It will start to read and copy to HDD but will quicky degrade in copy speed to a point that it no longer reads the disk.
Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD & CD drive issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD & CD drive issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD & CD drive issues

Tried a cd/dvd lens cleaner?

A new drive?

Collapse -
Yes,I have
by PorPorMe / April 12, 2008 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you...

As I said in my post-I've swapped other drives in and out with out any change.
I just found a drive test utility at Sony. It's results are interesting. First it has to be run in compatibility mode (XP SP2)
It reports the DVD-RW works perfectly-which it doesn't in Vista.
The CD-RW passes all tests except the read test. It doesn't work at all in Vista.So all things being the same-the problem lies somewhere in Vista, finding where is the problem.

Collapse -
Sorry, these work superbly here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes,I have

But my drives are new, without issue as to drive or media. I also don't install ANY packet writing software.

I rechecked your first post and don't see where you tried a new drive.
Bob

Collapse -
3rd line
by PorPorMe / April 12, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

It's not a big issue but as you can see in the 3rd line, swapped drives.

Collapse -
"Ever since I installed Vista"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: 3rd line

Let's tackle this from the OS install angle. Very few people know how to install Windows. Tell me about the 15 days you spend finding the drivers for motherboards, audio and more.

Collapse -
Drivers
by PorPorMe / April 12, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

15 days? I didn't look that long for the driver for my Bently.

Collapse -
Then it's time for a shop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Drivers

Since we can't talk about drivers I think you need to take the machine into the shop you have your Bently PC worked on.
Bob

Collapse -
Puzzle for all
by PorPorMe / April 15, 2008 10:54 AM PDT

Did a clean install of Vista Ultimate-no change. Then I installed Xp and guess what-both drives work just fine. Riddle me this one Vista freaks! (I realy do like it I can solve this and the nvidia drivers problem, but one thing at a time.

Collapse -
I was hoping that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Puzzle for all

You'd tell a bit about the drivers you installed after Vista. There may be a clue to be had there.

Collapse -
Drivers
by PorPorMe / April 15, 2008 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: I was hoping that...

In my installs of Vista the drives had the problems without installing any other drivers: Via,Nvidia,Ac97,or others.And with driver installs-nothing helped. After installing Xp-without any other installs-drives are fine.

Collapse -
There's your clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Drivers

Since you are relying on Microsoft for drivers and we see less driver support directly from MS in Vista you need to find and install the usual motherboard and other drivers from each maker.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!