General discussion

DVD/CD Drive is no longer recognizing audio discs

Suddenly overnight, my DVD/CD drive does not recognize audio discs when loading into iTunes (or for any other purpose). Is there anyway to "wake it up"? It seems to be just the audio CDs, because I popped in a Windows office installation CD to check it, and it worked just fine. I'm new to all the iTune stuff and was doing okay, I thought, and now this! Does anybody have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: DVD/CD Drive is no longer recognizing audio discs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: DVD/CD Drive is no longer recognizing audio discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Couple Tests are needed

First of all when you boot press F2{Most Computers]; or however you access your BIOS. Is the drive recognized by the BIOS. Assuming it is when you actually boot, check Computer, or My Computer in XP. Assuming it does I would use a CD/DVD Disc check utility, such as Nero or Roxio's.....It will tell you whether your drive is working and at what speed, etc......Try several different, CD's then try several DVD's if there is intermittent functionality, I would assume the driver is going out. Drives cost $20-60 to order through NewEgg.com or TigerDirect.com....and is among the easiest upgrade/replacements to a computer. Hope it helps.

- Collapse -
Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have my "to do" list for today!

- Collapse -
Something to try

One day about a year ago, my CD/DVD drive icon wasn't showing up in My Computer, and then other day my DVD player wouldn't recognize any blank disks for burning. The remedy was the same for both; not merely restarting the computer, but shutting it down and unplugging the power cord for a few minutes. It worked and costs nothing.
This was my desktop; if it's a laptop, I'd remove the power cord and battery for the same effect. Worth a try.

- Collapse -
DVD/CD Drive is no longer recognizing audio discs

Dear valleyrider,
Sounds like it's the drive. Buy a new one, there only around $30.00, and that should solve the problem.
Regards,
TMV

CNET Forums

Forum Info