Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD Burning restarts

by tawneej / August 22, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

whenever i try to burn a DVD, it always restarts my computer. no error code, no blue screen of death, just a restart. my main question is if there is a program that will tell me what may be the culprit, or if i need to start from scratch, rebuilding piece by piece until i get a problem? my only thought is that maybe i need more ram? i know for sure its not a heat issue, and i know the burner works fine, and i know its not copyright issues because there home movies.
any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanx for your time.

JT

System:
Win XP Pro SP2
512 ram
200gig hd 70+ gig free
Athlon xp 2700+
3 system fans
dvd-rw
cd-rw
Geforce2 mmx 16bit

anything else needed please let me know!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Burning restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Burning restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Like...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Burning restarts

... a power supply issue... Hopefully you've got one that's 450 or more watts?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
oops...
by tawneej / August 22, 2006 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds Like...

yeah 500 watter, sry i forgot that.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Try it with the cover off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: oops...
Collapse -
Tried that actually...
by tawneej / August 22, 2006 12:41 PM PDT

Have the cover off with a box fan blowing into the side of the case.
Thanx for the help so far though Grif anf Proffit!! much appreciated

Collapse -
See if a clue is in the EVENT VIEWER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried that actually...

Clues are needed. So look there.

Bob

Collapse -
You Might Even Consider...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried that actually...

..swapping in a known "good" DVD burner.. The current one may have an issue that only shows up when burning commences..a short somewhere? Maybe something else?

I assume you've tried uninstalling, then reinstalling the burning software plus any updates that might be available for the software?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
well. . .
by tawneej / August 23, 2006 7:10 AM PDT

first to Proffit, this is what event viewer had to say :
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 8/22/2006
Time: 4:27:04 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ITS-ALIVE
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x8054d370, 0xc4104000, 0x00000136). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082206-03.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

And last but not least for Grif,
Have swapped with my friends that works like a champ in his PC, have all updates and have reinstalled all applications and drivers and such. thats always my first step.

Thanx for the help fellas!!

Collapse -
2 ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: well. . .

1. Set the machine to halt rather than reboot, turn off automatically restart in "start-up and recovery" control panel.

2. I wonder if the machine is overclocked. The message is noted in a few articles and overclocking was a cause.

Bob

Collapse -
ok...
by tawneej / August 24, 2006 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 ideas.

Automatic retsart was already unchecked, I keep it that way.

2, I built this PC myself and unless you can over clock by accident then it isn't, cuz i wouldn't try something like that, processors are expensive enough!

Thanx for the ideas!!

Collapse -
Check The Memory
by bigdog427 / August 25, 2006 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: ok...

Hello, Check the memory. I have seen several PC's that will spontaneously reboot while decoding & burning DVD's. Every time this has been traced to either a heat, power supply or a memory issue. Check the heatsink/fans, then run MEMTEST: http://www.memtest86.com & MEMTEST+: http://www.memtest.org Run them for several hours, preferably overnight. If the fans & memory are OK, try a power supply. Run these & let us know what happens. Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?