Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

DVD Burning/Reading Problem

by Daviddude / March 3, 2006 10:14 AM PST

Hi everyone, I have a Windows XP home SP2 computer that has a Sony DVD RW DW-D22A that supposedly supports both -R and +R. Well I bought a stack of 100 Blank DVD-R and less than 1/2 way through the stack they turned into lousy DVD's. Both for DVD movies and data storage they wouldn't work. I would get this CRC check sum error message. I contacted the manufacturer and sent in a few samples and they replaced them - sent me two stacks of 50 - nice company. Well I just burned a data disc and my computer doesn't recognize anything being on the disc - I even get the "You have inserted a blank cd/dvd window" thing on my screen. I then tried to burn a dvd movie using a different program and that program doesn't even recognize a disc being in the drive (yes I did put in a fresh dvd before I started the program).
Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Burning/Reading Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Burning/Reading Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The lack of detail and of supplied diagnostics...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 11:32 AM PST

Makes this one a wild guess. The one thing I know is to swap out the drive quickly since tech time is far too expensive to futz with a possibly failing drive. Remember that I have no qualms about this since we have spare drives and the swap takes about 1 minute. Whereas trying to tell if the drive is good would take far too long.

Swap the drive first. If that's not an option, try cd/dvd lens cleaner, other software, a firmware update and recording at 1/2 the rated media speed.

Bob

Collapse -
More Info - Here is some
by Daviddude / March 4, 2006 1:03 AM PST

Key Features
Burner Type DVD RW Dual Layer
Storage Type Disk Drive
Read Speed 48x (CD), 16x (DVD)
Write Speed 48x (CD), 8x (DVD-R), 16x (DVD+R), 2.4x (DVD+R DL)
ReWrite Speed 4x (DVD-RW), 4x (DVD+RW), 24x (CD-RW)
Enclosure Type Internal
Platform PC
Technical Features
Interface IDE / EIDE
Supported CD Formats CD-Extra ? CD-I ? CD-ROM Mode 1 ? CD-ROM XA ? Multi-Session ? Photo-CD ? Video-CD ? CD Audio ? Karaoke-CD ? CD Plus ? CD-R ? CD-RW
Access Time CD 110 ms
Supported DVD Formats DVD-ROM ? Multi-border ? Multi-Session
Recording DVD Modes Multi-Session ? Multi-border Recording
Access Time DVD 105 ms
Supported Media Writing Standards CD-R ? CD-RW ? DVD-R ? DVD+R ? DVD+RW ? DVD+R DL (Double Layer) ? DVD-RW
Buffer Size 2 MB
Tray Qty. 1
Other Features
Features Buffer Underrun Proof
Mounting Horizontal ? Vertical
System Requirements
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 ? Microsoft Windows 98 ? Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition ? Microsoft Windows XP
Dimensions
Weight 3.2 lb.
Miscellaneous

Can you tell me how I would do diagnostics on this drive? Thanks

I did the lense cleaner, burned a data dvd at 1/2 speed and now I am copying the burned data back to my hard drive to see that it works.

Collapse -
diagnostics
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2006 1:14 AM PST

"Can you tell me how I would do diagnostics on this drive?"

Simple. You try to record on it and if it works, it's good. If not, it's bad.

The makers of these things are not publishing diagnostics. NEW dual layer 16X DVD recorders are selling for under 50 (actually 40...) and this wipes out any hope that people will pay for a diagnostics program.

Hope this helps.

-> To see if the OS is the issue, we boot up our Linux machine and use K3b. Since all that is on the web and I don't duplicate web content, I'll stop here.

Bob

Collapse -
ok, well...
by Daviddude / March 4, 2006 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: diagnostics

I burned a disc, and then copied it back to the hard drive, then added more data to the disc and no copying that back to the hard drive as I type this and Walla! looks like it works now. I still haven't checked the movie burning program yet. But I cut the burn speed in 1/2 and used the dvd lens cleaner disc like you suggested.

Thanks Bob!!

Collapse -
1/2 speed. It's what I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2006 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: ok, well...

I rarely have any CD/DVD issues. But then again I always select 1/2 the rated media speed. Yes, it's boring and slower but the problems I have are few.

If the lens cleaner and speed cut seems to be working, I'd keep doing that for awhile...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!